Lets ditch the gas vs. electric debate and get to talking about owning an Alta

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
There's a firmware update available that'll allow the bike to charge at 220 in about 4 hrs vs 6-7, BUT, you have to have the right kind of plug I'm guessing that'll go from the wall outlet to the standard plug of the included charge cord that is designed for standard 110 wall sockets.

This is the kind of 240V power outlet that I have on my 240V generator:

1523208604312.png

Look at the circular 120V and 240V markings around the outlet, it will give you clues on how it works.

The generator comes with a spare male plug, but I'd have to wire it myself.

Amazon says people buy this short power cord with this generator. Not sure why others buy it, but I just bought it too and I am going to re-wire it to give me 240V in a standard American 110-120V power outlet plug.

1523209231450.png

Ireek

Oded, I tried that, my dealer has SM's sitting on the floor, tried another dealer and they didn't want to trade either, also tried selling the bike in favor of the EX, had one $7000 offer on it, I was an early buyer and paid the higher price for my bike, I can't lose $8 grand in 5 months (600 miles) of ownership and sleep at night so I'm just going to keep it. I do appreciate it though, wish it was possible, I do still like the bike a great deal so I'm not too bummed.

Ireek

Philip, that helps seeing that plug. Correct me if I'm wrong but that short power cord looks like what I'd need to plug into my bike without modification (the female part). The male part would be the desired outlet to be wired in to my garage. I guess?

snydes

Staff member
7k is an insult on a year old bike with only 600 miles. A new one is still 13.5k. We’re there any substantial improvements with the ‘18 SM?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
... had one $7000 offer on it, I was an early buyer and paid the higher price for my bike, I can't lose $8 grand in 5 months (600 miles) of ownership and sleep at night so I'm just going to keep it.
You, me, and other early adopters have already lost $2K - $4.5K on our bikes the minute Alta announced the price reductions. There is no going back. Keeping or selling the bike does not change that, unfortunately.

The 3rd stage of grief is Bargaining. I got this update from Alta back in February:

"We are currently working on an early adopter program for customers like yourself. This program is intended to introduce perks to say thank your for your early support of Alta Motors. Stay tuned for more information on this program in the future. We will be sure to share new updates on this program as they come out."

I talked to the same guy last week and he hasn't mentioned anything. But he promised to get back to me. Maybe they are waiting for when they have more MXRs than open orders for them, I do not know.

If all fails, Acceptance is the 5th stage of grief.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Philip, that helps seeing that plug. Correct me if I'm wrong but that short power cord looks like what I'd need to plug into my bike without modification (the female part). The male part would be the desired outlet to be wired in to my garage. I guess?
Yes, you would have to re-wire or replace the male connector of this power cord.

The flat pins of the 110V female plugs should go to the left and right pins of the 240V male plug. The ground is connected to the ground (top) pin. Other 240V connector types will have similar pin arrangements, so see what you have and buy a proper male plug for this power cord.

Ireek

snydes, I think my bike has 40hp where the 18" is 42, I got the first one at my dealer in September but my MSO had model year 2108 on it, it is registered as a 2018, if I remember correctly, according to the Alta site, it had 40 hp but now it states that it has 42, same torque however (and battery). Yeah, I laughed at his $7k offer.

Philip, I emailed Alta in January asking about early adopters concessions and got a similar reply, we'll just have to wait and see if anything comes of it. I appreciate your help on the faster charging, re wiring and replacing connectors sounds a little outside my pay grade, I'll hold off for a bit on all this, I'd hate to burn up my bike trying to save a couple hours charge time.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently, there were no 2017 Redshift SM models, so it makes sense that yours is a 2018.

I think the extra 2 hp was a software update. Ask your dealer to check and flash the latest software.

Extra 10hp can be flashed in too, probably, but it will boil the battery (and/or burn some wires, according to Alta).

Ireek

Philip, that 2 hp increase would be nice I guess, I'll ask about that when I'm there for the update for 240 charging. I spoke with my electrician buddy today and was told that doing a custom plug would be no problem at all, I know it'll only save a few hours charge time but I'll take it.

Oded, I was sort of wondering about pricing in Israel, you're right, we don't have it too bad here in the US even if we did pay the higher premium.

snydes

Staff member
Glad to hear your buddy can take care of everything for you. A few hours could mean the ability to make another ride that otherwise wouldn't have been possible. I'm interested to hear if the update on your bike gives you that 2 hp. Let us know.