Lets ditch the gas vs. electric debate and get to talking about owning an Alta

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
On my 2017 Redshift MX I get 30+ miles trail riding, which is over 2 hours, with some juice left. I had 35-40 mile days too, but I had to ration the power on those days.

At the MX track I get only 20 miles, which is about 40-45 minutes. Good enough for a light day of training.

I have a 12-110V inverter in my van, and so I started plugging in the bike when I am resting. On days when the track is full and the breaks are long, it makes a big difference. But if it is open riding, then I only rest 10-15 minutes, charging is pretty much useless. I need to get myself a 240V generator.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Map 1 and 2 for trail riding. Map 1 is great for slippery uphills and "fuel" economy. Map 2 for everything else.

At the MX track it is Map 3, most of the time.

I tried Map 4 last weekend at the track in anger. It has its benefits too. The response is more immediate, the throttle becomes "shorter". If you roll it on out of a turn quickly it is the same effect as dumping the clutch -- it shoots you out forward, if the rear wheel is in a rut, which it'd better be.

In flat turns Map 4 makes it easier to drift. But the traction is worse.

Also, the battery goes down very quickly in Map 4.

Rainmaker

I think to quell range-anxiety we need to be honest with how far we tend to go and how much time we normally sustain on an average ride.
Disclaimer: although I used to road race expert now in the dirt I am not yet racing and mostly just trail riding for fun. Sometimes casual dual-sport events. I'm looking at the EX model to be ready for diverse riding locations.
So I looked back at my GPS tracks for the last few years and was surprised to see most rides were under 50 miles! Only a few marathon days went longer but those had a break half way or nearly doubled back close to the start anyway (hint: charging opportunity!).
Part of that is due to North East terrain being extremely rocky, gnarly, forested and slow. Average riders get exhausted quickly.
This look at the data helped me lean more towards getting one!

snydes

Staff member
Well, I should be able to tell you in a month or so how I do here in the rocky coal regions of Pennsylvania. I think from what you want to do and what I’m hearing from other owners the bike may suit your needs.

Oded

I rum my Redshift EX in map 2 & 3, single tracks and rocky terrain. Can get 3 hours of riding quite easily.
Remember, the faster you ride, the more energt it consumes, even for the same distance.
That's why technical enduro is great for this bike in my opinion.

snydes

Staff member
That’s a respectable ride time. It seems many don’t seem to understand how all these variables affect ride time. It’s no different than seeing how far you can get with a certain amount of gasoline. Thanks for sharing.

Ireek

My SM gets around 40-45 miles of easy use, speeds under 50 mph, I typically ride in mode 4, my mileage varies very little between modes, it's all in how you twist the grip. I've yet to get the update done on my bike to charge at 220, as you all know, the SM has the on board charger, typical charge time for me is around 6 hrs on 110.

snydes

Staff member
My SM gets around 40-45 miles of easy use, speeds under 50 mph, I typically ride in mode 4, my mileage varies very little between modes, it's all in how you twist the grip. I've yet to get the update done on my bike to charge at 220, as you all know, the SM has the on board charger, typical charge time for me is around 6 hrs on 110.

Actually I didn't realize the SMs had on board chargers. What are the details of the update?

Ireek

There's a firmware update available that'll allow the bike to charge at 220 in about 4 hrs vs 6-7, BUT, you have to have the right kind of plug I'm guessing that'll go from the wall outlet to the standard plug of the included charge cord that is designed for standard 110 wall sockets. Honestly, I'm weak in this area, the Zero guys are slick and know all sorts of tricks, I need to get the update done and maybe get some assistance on where and how to get the plug.

I have actually thought about trying to ditch the on board charger in favor of the faster stand alone charger, I work only 2.5 miles from home so charging in the field isn't super important to me and I live in really good riding, it would be nice to go blast and stop by the house for a quick (2 hour) charge and back to the shenanigans:)

snydes

Staff member
Thats really neat that a firmware update can accomplish that. The plug wouldn't be hard, you just need to know the type of 240v plug to match your outlet and a trip to Home Depot/Lowes for some hardware. I'm sure we could help walk you through it.

Ireek

That'd be awesome!! Going to try to take the bike to the dealer this week for the update. I have an electrician friend to do the plug in the garage for me, anything I should tell him, as far as what kind of outlet? Sorry for my ignorance on this...

snydes

Staff member
Your electrician should know right what to do. He should also easily be able to put a plug together for you. There are multiple style 240v plugs, I’d defer to whatever he prefers. I’d check with Alta to confirm this, but I believe the adapter plug should be wired so that both ‘prongs’ of the 120v plug are hot (each leg of the 240), where as normally one is 120v hot one is neutral. I’d bet Altas tech support could supply you with a diagram for him also. I only know enough to be dangerous, so don’t take my wiring advice as gospel.

Oded

Just throwing an idea, feel free to shut me off ☺️
Perhaps. Instead of upgrading the software and changing connectors, trade-in the SM for an EX. Switch to dual sport tires and enjoy both worlds (on & off road)?