Just bought a 2018 SM A few questions

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
If the charger is only 1.1kw does going to 240Vac have any charging speed benefit? A 15A, 120Vac outlet should be able to provide 1.8kw so is there any gain with 240Vac?
Thanks

Not much really. Maybe a slight increase..I never really worry as I charge at work and home on regular outlets. The dream would be a J1772 plug that can handshake with charger stations...

bluefxstc

Not much really. Maybe a slight increase..I never really worry as I charge at work and home on regular outlets. The dream would be a J1772 plug that can handshake with charger stations...
Fairly easy to build, but would require you to carry a separate box. Could easily be built to fit in the open space in the sub frame. All it requires is the female plug, some wire and a communication module. The communication module is small so would probably fit inside the sub frame. If you didn't want to build one you could just buy one from Tucson EV for $135.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Somebody loan me their SM, and I will be glad to experiment. Should only take a couple weeks... months... ummm.... Shouldn't take more than a couple years.

I have a soldering iron, some wire, and access to YouTube. What could possibly go wrong?

F451

Thanks for the feedback you guys on this forum are awesome. I have a KTM 500 built for my race bike. I’m just going to mess around a bit with the Alta. I was just was hoping to be able to run a couple races in a day. Maybe it will just the way it is.
The races are like 8 laps, usually its at least a hour between races. Maybe I can figure out a 240v plug adapter that will speed things up.

That sounds like fun. I wonder if the SM could make the 8 laps at race pace and still have any charge left? I'm guessing it wouldn't, but if it did, maybe the on-board charger could get you enough charge in the 1 hour between races to get another 8 laps in?

Whenever I ride my MXR on the street I'm always thinking its a good thing I don't have any cash for a supermoto setup because I'd lose my license in no time, the thing is a blast on the street, even with the 21/18" knobbies.

Depending on how badly you want to get an Alta on the track, might be worth it to consider selling the SM and replacing it with an MXR + fast charger, especially if you could plate your MXR (its pretty easy to plate dirt bikes in WA State for example).

Or just buy an MXR and race that, keep the SM and be twice as happy!

Good luck and keep us posted. -Eddie