How Far Have You Gone?

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
So perhaps we're all reading too much into the battery-bar-at-zero! Still another 5-10 miles in reserve?
This is what I am thinking also. On one of my rides I went about 32 miles and the battery meter was blinking. In map 2, I still had full speed and full power. My experience with lower powered two wheeled EVs, this is not the case.

Rix

So wondering what kind of range everyone is seeing, or able to get out of their Alta and what techniques you use to help ensure you aren't stranded with a dead battery? I understand that there are a lot of variables in that question, and some of you may not even know, or care, but I thought it would be interesting to see the variability in the answers. The moto folks are probably more concerned with time than miles, so miles/km may not be a good metric, but let us know what you have. As I am probably one of the wimpier, least aggressive, riders on the forum, I easily see 40 miles on a charge. It is a number I can plan for and not have to worry about depleting the battery in the woods. Typically riding area is mountainous so I climb in the beginning of the ride and have found that if I start heading back with about 1/3 battery capacity, I can make it back to the truck. The most miles I have gone on a charge, was last weekend when I went riding with my wife and another couple. Very easy ride, probably 20-30 mph speed on dirt roads, a fair amount of vertical climb (about 3000 ft), light acceleration, lots of regen with minimal use of brakes, but I did get 48 miles in 2.5 hours before the display started flashing at me.

What about you?
I am good for 40 miles in the hills trail riding. I base this on multiple rides I have had where I went around 20 miles and had used right around 50% of my battery. BTW, I get up to Boise about 4 times a year, I am thinking next year, I need to bring the EXR with me for a ride.

bluefxstc

I am good for 40 miles in the hills trail riding. I base this on multiple rides I have had where I went around 20 miles and had used right around 50% of my battery. BTW, I get up to Boise about 4 times a year, I am thinking next year, I need to bring the EXR with me for a ride.
Come on up, great riding, bring the electric or gas and we will make it happen. Would be cool to have two electrics out in the Boise foot hills. BTW the Boise fire department has an EX for rescue work in the foot hills.

Reactions: Rix

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Just got in from a ride to assist with answering this question, I made it 38 miles on this change. Mixed highway, gravel and single track, with about 3000 feet elevation gain.

I will have to do a few more sample rides to enhance my data set to ensure a more accurate average.

blbills

I don't know how you guys are doing this. Only getting 25, 30 miles tops riding single track on mode 3. Need more range!

Rix

Come on up, great riding, bring the electric or gas and we will make it happen. Would be cool to have two electrics out in the Boise foot hills. BTW the Boise fire department has an EX for rescue work in the foot hills.
Yah we will do that, and then grab lunch at Highland Hollow off of Bogus Basin Road north of Hill road. BTW, how are you liking the SHinko SR244? Also, are you running the 4.60x18 or the 5.10x18? According to my math, the 4.60 is closest to the stock tires size as far as width goes.