How Far Have You Gone?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
42 miles of New England ST and dirt roads, full battery to empty, but still able to ride normally so the battery wasn't totally out of power.

Speedkills

I was also wondering how people are getting so much ride time out of their Alta’s, are they stopping and taking a ton of breaks. It was interesting to watch the Erzberg footage, he ran out of battery after about 40 minutes, which is what I would expect from my experience with my Alta. I don’t know how people are translating that to 4 hours but maybe it’s just very, very different types of trails than I am used to riding.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
No pun intended, but Speedkills the battery pretty fast. I was able to nearly drain the battery in 26 miles and 30 minutes on the street with the SM, all out hooligan style. Last weekend I kept to the posted speed limits on the road portions of the Pachaug loop, by doing that I got 6 miles more range on my MX over the previous ride. Next time I'm there I'll try riding without roosting my buddy in map 4, maybe I'll get to 45 miles!

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
I really tested the battery this weekend! Fast high desert, open country, quietly running with the deer and antelope. I got turned around, hill climbs, soft heavy soil, rocky ups and downs. Map 4 most of the time for fast fun factor... last mile (or two) was without any battery bars! Yikes! I was gettin'-some-Jesus, praying not to get stranded! Thankfully, got me home runnin' on fumes :)
95% Map 4
21.21 miles
2600' elevation gain
1hr 40min
0% battery remaining!
Got a great workout!

I LOVE THIS BIKE! Particularly, for my case, nice that the bike is quiet and fire-safe in dry country with a lot of wildlife! Of course, lots of torque is great too! #Zrapp

20180826_124309.jpg

20180826_125134.jpg

20180826_125148.jpg

20180826_142756.jpg

20180826_154546.jpg

20180826_154201.jpg

Butch

Poseur
Eric just updated my software and new tires. He says it will increase my range.
Ride to depleation test upcoming. Last highest recorded was 43 miles.

I think i can beat that.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
32.5 miles yesterday, with about 1/4 left on the battery indicator. An equal mileage mix of paved mountain roads at 45mph, loose gravel Forest Service Roads, and very steep, rocky, and rutted single track. The single track included a quite a few stops to cut and clear deadfall trees and brush so the time spent on the single track was most of the total time of 3-1/2 hours. I am 6'-3", 220 pounds, and was carrying a bunch of trail clearing tools so the mileage from the EXR was quite acceptable.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe we need a thread on how far you can go when there are zero bars left :)
Go ahead. I just have no data point to contribute. At a MX track when the last bar stops blinking I ride back to the van. I do not want to be pushing the bike back. Plus, the range anxiety prevents me from enjoying another lap.

Butch

Poseur
I just put on the third rear and second front tires; Metzler Six Days Extreme, as recomended by Eric. Also updated the software. Two things to change the range capability.

Yesterday we rode Hollister, the ususl loops. Peets, Jays, the Renz. Didn’t get to Troll.

Eric has a new Alta EX. He reached the blinky low battery warning at about 32 miles. He packed it up at that point. I kept riding.

I went back to Buckeye Thicket and took a the secret link to the Renz, then did Beehive and Tiger and San Andreas.
I went into blinky mode at 38 miles.

I did a loop on Beaverly’s and Shale until the charge was depleted. There was little power and zero charge remaining indicated. Shiftless still would go, however...

46.3 miles and 3.1 hours for the day. A new Shiftless record. I could then head back (downhill) to the truck and fire up the TM...

But was pretty dry so I headed home... plugged in the charger, lube the chain, ready to ride tomorrow! Metcalf prolly.