Honda CR Electric! Yes!

Judaslefourbe

Guys, don't get excited. Like Philip said, it is just a prototype and will not be manufactured for a very long time.
Look at the IoM TT: Mugen got in back in 2012. Have you been able to buy an electric motorcycle from Honda yet?

privateer703

AOF Addict
If you think a side-by-side or their Spyder would steal Honda's thunder. They don't have anything in the off-road motorcycle category. The Spyder would be lot's of fun, but not leaning on a bike is so weird.

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
If you think a side-by-side or their Spyder would steal Honda's thunder. They don't have anything in the off-road motorcycle category. The Spyder would be lot's of fun, but not leaning on a bike is so weird.
I'm saying make a CanAm moto bike. They already own the design. One that IMHO is better than what Honda is showing.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I'm saying make a CanAm moto bike. They already own the design. One that IMHO is better than what Honda is showing.
If BRP began production of Alta's rebranded as CanAm, I think Honda would have to seriously up their game to enter the market. However I don't think BRP has the motivation to follow through, they seem happy to dedicate themselves to the ATV/UTV market, and the oddball spider.

F451

That would be awesome. I imagine even if they were working on this right now, it would take be at least a year before they have bikes ready for sale, probably longer.

The Can-Am name is well known in the moto world though, its really a no brainer.

Re the Spyder, odd ball is right. The little that I've heard about driving/riding any 3 wheeler on the street is its a drag. The center wheel is always on the crown, so the things tend to want to wander. And the middle wheel is also driving in all the crap that settles in the crown area. And its got all the disadvantages of a motorcycle, with none of the advantages of a car.

It sure seems weird to me to put all that time, energy and MONEY into a very small market product.

So it doubly weird to me that BRP is not planning to sell an Alta/BRP dirt bike, which they can then use the tech to get into scooters, beginner bikes, street bikes, etc, etc, etc. The overall bike market sure seems a hell of a lot bigger then the 3 wheeler market.

snydes

Staff member
IMO what is hurting this technology from progressing more than any other current factor is the profit margins are just not there for them to justify the development.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I wonder if they still produce that Honda jet that they once build, just because they could...
It's still on the way, they just got the test flight fleet together. It should be entering service soon.

Edit: just saw your second post, it's already certified. Not much of an aviation buff, so didn't pay much attention to it, even though I have a couple friends working for Honda jet.

F451

"It's not a motorcycle...no motor..."

What?! Motors are generally understood to be electric powered motors, engines are generally understood to be internal combustion engines. Calling IC engines motors has become accepted and normal, but technically is not correct. So to say it doesn't have a motor so its not a motorcycle, wow. Completely and totally incorrect. And yes I know they were just kidding around, but they don't know that they're talking about.

And is that Canard? "I haven't ridden one..."

What the hell? Sounds like he's making all the excuses for why EV dirt bikes won't work, the same old tired excuses from someone who has never ridden one.

Its great that they are "trying" to highlight the bike (I think that's what they're trying to do, hard to tell though), but that was the lamest attempt about discussing EV dirt bikes I've seen in a while from people who should know better.

Very strange.

The AOF's @Fog 25 shout out was awesome though, Lol.

ElectricMoto

And I thought Canard was a cool guy. but he's obviously not. If he can't see that " No Sound Equals More Ground " and provide more riding opportunities then it's sad... isn't maximizing the possibility to ride a Dirt Bike what it's all about ?