Honda CR Electric! Yes!

F451

It looks interesting, but I'm not going to hold my breath. There is a long line of prototype Honda products that never made it to production.

And there's a long list of radical bikes that Honda has dropped on the world without much if any prior fan fair:

CB750, NR oval piston 750, CBX six cylinder, 5 cylinder 125 road race bike (5 cylinder 125!), and more.

One thing about Honda, when they bring a bike to market, it is usually very well done, and they often set new high marks for innovation, reliability, and affordability.

But yes, I agree, I wouldn't hold my breathe on this one either, but I also would not be surprised if that thing or something very similar to it is on showroom floors within a year or two. And they will sell every single one they produce, no question there.

Mark911

I'm surprised they went with a relatively production looking frame. Unlike Alta, they decided to de-link the drivetrain from the main structural load path. However, the drivetrain looks to be very well integrated. I wish there was a left side view, looking to see if it's got a shift lever and therefore a gearbox.

leeo45

Geezer in denial
FYI:
It;s the real deal.
Mugen was all over us @ RBSR.
Welcome to the Motorcycle Industry. lol

It is something Honda (Mugen) could build and potentially produce if it is in their business plans. Mugen has won the last four or five Isle of Man TT Zero races in a row. Last year the bike (with Michael Rutter onboard) averaged over 120 mph for the full 38 mile lap of the Mountain Course.

isle-of-man-tt-zero-2018-mugen-6.jpg

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I will say that its probably a heck of a lot cheaper to adapt an electric powerplant to their already existing CRF frame rather than build one ground up for the electric platform. I still question the capacity of that pack, though. It looks way too small to last a full moto if they are indeed using 18650's. I don't think the motocross community will appreciate the bike if it can't last a full 30+2. Look at the response of the motocross community on the Alta, even though it could last a full 30 minutes on a motocross track with an average rider.

bluefxstc

There could be more than one pack. The beautiful thing about batteries is that you can spread them out. Alta just had one pack and it some ways that is more efficient. Just one controller and everything in one place, but it is not the only way. Honda could have another parallel or series pack under the seat or behind the side number plates to give more battery capacity than we can easily see from the pictures.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Honda could have another parallel or series pack under the seat or behind the side number plates to give more battery capacity than we can easily see from the pictures.
That's what I was thinking too. In order to appease the IC crowd, they might decide to retain their iconic cosmetic twin pipes but will stuff them full of 18650s. :)

Fog 25

I will say that its probably a heck of a lot cheaper to adapt an electric powerplant to their already existing CRF frame rather than build one ground up for the electric platform. I still question the capacity of that pack, though. It looks way too small to last a full moto if they are indeed using 18650's. I don't think the motocross community will appreciate the bike if it can't last a full 30+2. Look at the response of the motocross community on the Alta, even though it could last a full 30 minutes on a motocross track with an average rider.
The average moto guy right now can get 30 minutes plus at Race speed on an Alta. At a good practice space I get 42 to 45 minutes in map four.

ElectricMoto

There could be more than one pack. The beautiful thing about batteries is that you can spread them out. Alta just had one pack and it some ways that is more efficient. Just one controller and everything in one place, but it is not the only way. Honda could have another parallel or series pack under the seat or behind the side number plates to give more battery capacity than we can easily see from the pictures.
Hmmm, I would say that running several packs is not like having several ICE Gas tanks ( like on a Dakar bike) there are Thermal different environments ( issues) , more BMS ( cost) more parts ( complexity) . I would say that the correct way to build an EV is to build it from the ground up like Alta, converting an ICE bike will always be a compromise and you don't get the full (technical) potential ( maybe economical) out of it.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Hmmm, I would say that running several packs is not like having several ICE Gas tanks ( like on a Dakar bike) there are Thermal different environments ( issues) , more BMS ( cost) more parts ( complexity) . I would say that the correct way to build an EV is to build it from the ground up like Alta, converting an ICE bike will always be a compromise and you don't get the full (technical) potential ( maybe economical) out of it.
But for a prototype/proof of concept build, it may be more beneficial to start with some existing components, and develop the technology to suit. Non production models are not always held to the same standards depending on research goals.

bluefxstc

I am not sure how different it really is. I have two different packs on my 300ZX conversion, one in the front and one in the rear where the gas tank was. It was only a matter of running some fairly heavy wire from the front to the back of the vehicle for a series run. The Chevy Volt pack is one unit but it is shaped like a tee so they can use the space under the rear seats. Form fitting a pack to the shape you have is not that difficult technically, it just takes additional engineering and expense. With the Alta, internally, the pack is already divided into 4 equal sections if I understand it correctly. Relocation one section would not be that big a deal for an OEM. 2 power wires and probably 4 small comm wires (power, ground and 2 bus wires) for the BMS along with an enclosure and you are good. You could even make it a different shape (think triangle) as long as electrically, it was the same as the other sections. For Alta, it would have involved a different pack design and lay out (think more money and weight) and they made the decision against it, but from an initial manufacturing and design point, it wouldn't be that difficult, just different.