Hard Enduro test

enjoythesilenc

It's early days for the varg but that map sounds horrible. Breaking traction everywhere, even on a rock face. Way too much power and twitch for that terrain/rider/tire/suspension milieu.

So good to see the bike out there and look forward to people tweaking the maps and sharing what works and what doesn't as far as setup values. A lot of people are signed up for the bike thinking it will be easier to ride than the fire bikes. Hopefully we get to see this gray varg on the same trail once the rider gets used to it and adjusts the parameters
:ricky:

Oded

It's early days for the varg but that map sounds horrible. Breaking traction everywhere, even on a rock face. Way too much power and twitch for that terrain/rider/tire/suspension milieu.

So good to see the bike out there and look forward to people tweaking the maps and sharing what works and what doesn't as far as setup values. A lot of people are signed up for the bike thinking it will be easier to ride than the fire bikes. Hopefully we get to see this gray varg on the same trail once the rider gets used to it and adjusts the parameters
:ricky:
I agree.
the Varg's KYB suspension are tuned for MX, making them quite stiff for enduro riding. that also contribute to the lack of traction.

F451

In the video comments he mentions he ordered springs one level lighter then Stark's site indicated for his weight and that he is considering going one additional level lighter on the springs. Something to consider for those who have one on order and will be using it primarily for trail riding.

And hard enduro, Lol, looks like tight single track around here, but still a good vid, looking forward to range tests under those conditions.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
In the video comments he mentions he ordered springs one level lighter then Stark's site indicated for his weight and that he is considering going one additional level lighter on the springs. Something to consider for those who have one on order and will be using it primarily for trail riding.

And hard enduro, Lol, looks like tight single track around here, but still a good vid, looking forward to range tests under those conditions.
This suspension softens up quite a bit after it has broken in. I wouldn't recommend dropping two rates. He probably hasn't broken in the suspension yet

DD88

My YouTube posts above so I can answer some questions/concerns.

Map/traction:

We were playing around with the factory presets and I think that we used map 4 during the whole clip. Map 4 has too much power for this kind of terrain and the curve is better suited for MX. I’m running a Metzeler Six Days Extreme super soft rear and the grip is very limited in the dirt (no rain for six weeks so more or less dust). In the second clip posted above, I was running the second map and the bike is much easier to control, albeit slower riding. I haven’t been able to add the bike to my app yet (ordered on a account that I can’t access but the support team is helping) so I can’t adjust the parameters, but I can already tell that more detailed adjustments is needed for enduro (power curve and traction).

Suspension:

As mentioned, I ordered one level lighter springs, just as Stark recommends. But, you’ll really need to go even softer for this kind of terrain. I’m currently using half of the travel at most, while it’s quite common that I almost bottom out my WP Pro kit on my HQ. Good to know that it will be even softer once broken in. It’s not a big deal for me since I will rebuild the suspension for enduro riding.

Regarding the trail. We don’t really have the trail riding culture over here since it’s illegal to use anything with an engine in the woods, so we have regular enduro (more or less MX in the woods), hard enduro (tight and technical single track) and extreme enduro (what I think most consider to be hard enduro with a death wish). I’m aware that the designations differ around the world but I’ll stick to the Swedish standards.

There are some things that has to be addressed when it comes to enduro riding with the Varg, but it’s an amazing bike and platform and I’m one hundred percent certain that there will be a lot of these bikes in the woods in the future. Everyone that tries the bike loves it, it really is as good as everyone says.

Edit: I can also mention that I’m currently running my Husqvarna 21/18 setup on the Varg

IMG_3013.jpeg

Oded

This is my favorite terrain and type of riding.
I use on my Alta - map 2, PSI 8 in the rear wheel, gummy tires, and the stock EX suspension which is very soft and suitable for hard enduro (not for MX).
it climbs effortlessly (almost...)
Here is an example -

F451

Great video and testing, awesome riding area, thanks for sharing.

From your youtube vid description, very interesting:

"Presumed range at 100% to 0% usage: 41 km (25.5 miles)

Presumed riding time at 100% to 0% usage: 173 minutes"

enjoythesilenc

Really appreciate the video. I'll be asking for my deposit back. I have no use for a dirt bike with a 25 mile range.
What were your expectations? What is a typical ride for you? Have you ridden much electric mileage?

If a typical ride for you is more like 20 mph average, you might get 40 miles. The ride shown in the video is a 9 mph ride and the bike can go 3 hours. Listen to the rider's breathing. 3 hours is going to be plenty on this trail.

Also, if you have not ridden much electric, you might find that you will seek out a "use" for such a bike to be able to enjoy the fun these things offer.

If you hoped the varg would replace your typical highly evolved offroad bike with 3 gallons of fuel onboard to race or ride all day, you are justified in having some disappointment etc.

Ethos

Really appreciate the video. I'll be asking for my deposit back. I have no use for a dirt bike with a 25 mile range.
Cool.

To be fair, 25 mile hard enduro range =/= max range on a flat paved road.

I don't believe i have ever done 25 miles of enduro in one session.

Number Six

My YouTube posts above so I can answer some questions/concerns.

Map/traction:

We were playing around with the factory presets and I think that we used map 4 during the whole clip. Map 4 has too much power for this kind of terrain and the curve is better suited for MX. I’m running a Metzeler Six Days Extreme super soft rear and the grip is very limited in the dirt (no rain for six weeks so more or less dust). In the second clip posted above, I was running the second map and the bike is much easier to control, albeit slower riding. I haven’t been able to add the bike to my app yet (ordered on a account that I can’t access but the support team is helping) so I can’t adjust the parameters, but I can already tell that more detailed adjustments is needed for enduro (power curve and traction).

Suspension:

As mentioned, I ordered one level lighter springs, just as Stark recommends. But, you’ll really need to go even softer for this kind of terrain. I’m currently using half of the travel at most, while it’s quite common that I almost bottom out my WP Pro kit on my HQ. Good to know that it will be even softer once broken in. It’s not a big deal for me since I will rebuild the suspension for enduro riding.

Regarding the trail. We don’t really have the trail riding culture over here since it’s illegal to use anything with an engine in the woods, so we have regular enduro (more or less MX in the woods), hard enduro (tight and technical single track) and extreme enduro (what I think most consider to be hard enduro with a death wish). I’m aware that the designations differ around the world but I’ll stick to the Swedish standards.

There are some things that has to be addressed when it comes to enduro riding with the Varg, but it’s an amazing bike and platform and I’m one hundred percent certain that there will be a lot of these bikes in the woods in the future. Everyone that tries the bike loves it, it really is as good as everyone says.

Edit: I can also mention that I’m currently running my Husqvarna 21/18 setup on the Varg

View attachment 10108
Thanks for uploading the 1st videos of the Varg on single track trails.
How do you think the Stark compares to your 300 two stroke as far as overall feel & ease of maneuverability in the slow, technical terrain ?
Which bike is easier when the speeds are below 12-15mph ?
Can you loft the front wheel over logs, rocks & such when needed from very low speeds ?
thx ..