Coolant Pump... not running with ignition on

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
It's been three weeks and still have not been able to ride the MX. @Judaslefourbe kindly clued me in as to when the dealer was going to receive the replacement laptop. I let the dealer know when they could be expecting the laptop. Now I'm in the dealer's service backlog que.

I'll just stand over here and wait..........

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Update: The dealer has had the laptop and my MX for one week. I've backed off calling the service guys at the dealer because I could sense my calls every other day were getting old..... but I called today to see if I could pick up the bike tomorrow and ride this weekend. And this is a long weekend. And all my buddies are riding.

Today the dealer offered up the first real info: there is a bad module that is not sending the correct voltage to the water pump. Alta is shipping out the replacement part, shipping date unknown, but the dealer confirmed it'll be shipped ground from CA to MA. In short, it'll be four full weeks next Tuesday that I purchased the bike but haven't been able to ride it. Ugh. Parts won't be in till the end of next week, then the shop needs several days to install, which, by my estimate will push the completion out the 5 week mark.

5 weeks. Hmmm. Ok. I know, growing pains, huge sales explosion, lots of demand, not enough hours in the day, need to manage the growth......

I guess I'll drink this weekend instead of ride.

snydes

Staff member
Update: The dealer has had the laptop and my MX for one week. I've backed off calling the service guys at the dealer because I could sense my calls every other day were getting old..... but I called today to see if I could pick up the bike tomorrow and ride this weekend. And this is a long weekend. And all my buddies are riding.

Today the dealer offered up the first real info: there is a bad module that is not sending the correct voltage to the water pump. Alta is shipping out the replacement part, shipping date unknown, but the dealer confirmed it'll be shipped ground from CA to MA. In short, it'll be four full weeks next Tuesday that I purchased the bike but haven't been able to ride it. Ugh. Parts won't be in till the end of next week, then the shop needs several days to install, which, by my estimate will push the completion out the 5 week mark.

5 weeks. Hmmm. Ok. I know, growing pains, huge sales explosion, lots of demand, not enough hours in the day, need to manage the growth......

I guess I'll drink this weekend instead of ride.

I feel your pain brother :(

I’m terribly impatient in situations like this too, and the more I think about it the worse I get. My dealer was probably ready to block my calls as I was waiting for my bike to come in. When you commit to a premium purchase such as this you want to enjoy that first year of glory before it’s just “last year’s bike”.

Hang in there, I’ll drink one for you :cool:

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Ok, so the dealer has no MX or MXR demo bike. They do have a SM demo, which was not offered. I'm waiting for the sales guy to give me a call back. He was unaware of the issue with my bike............

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
3 hours later........

I called back and talked to the owner. I'm picking up their SM demo and using it till my MX is done. It took some convincing since their dealer plate isnt valid in CT, but CT doesn't require a registration on "scooters", unlike Mass, so I'm legal to ride it on the streets without a plate. At least so I'm told by the CT DMV and the head Ranger at Pachaug State Forest. The proof will be when I get pulled over.

My bike needs a "ACU" with contains a lithium ion battery, therefore it cannot be shipped expedited. The tech wasn't able to tell me what an ACU is, but I assume it's the ECU for the Alta. Do we have a list of acronyms for the Alta? Maybe I'll work on that tonight.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome, Mark!!! I was not fully serious when I recommended to ask for a loaner, but I am glad you did ask, and I am even more glad your dealer responded. This is simply awesome!

GO ALTA!!! :ricky:

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Awesome, Mark!!! I was not fully serious when I recommended to ask for a loaner, but I am glad you did ask, and I am even more glad your dealer responded. This is simply awesome!

GO ALTA!!! :ricky:

It was a good suggestion! Wish I had thought of it, and sooner! At least I'll have something to ride this weekend.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Go get some leathers and I am sure it will be a blast!!!!!

I have leathers! And I had a blast on the SM tonight! What a hoot to ride on the street, feels lighter than it is, lifts the front end at will, great brakes. And the water pump works. I was able to drain the battery in about 35 miles of brisk riding with bursts to 75. Now I know what it feels like to hooligan around the neighborhood in stealth mode!

snydes

Staff member
I have leathers! And I had a blast on the SM tonight! What a hoot to ride on the street, feels lighter than it is, lifts the front end at will, great brakes. And the water pump works. I was able to drain the battery in about 35 miles of brisk riding with bursts to 75. Now I know what it feels like to hooligan around the neighborhood in stealth mode!
Glad to hear your at least having fun on an Alta!

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
False alarm. Disregard. I don't think the SM liked being plugged into the same electrical circuit as the camper, which has a dehumidifier and hot water heater running. I ran an extension cord to the house and plugged that into the SM and it new appears to be charging.

Original post:

And the SM wont charge...... I plugged it in, went out to dinner, came back and the pump was off. I keyed on the bike and it showed one bar. I started the sequence again, putz around in the camper for while then checked on it, the charger was off but it had two bars. I moved the bike and the power cord to an outlet on the house and will give it another try........

I think I read on this forum that someone had a charging issue. I need to find that thread. Ok read that thread, not the same issue.

OneLapper

Forum's Sponsor
Update:

Got the MX back. I got back from a job this morning which was the first chance I had to ride the bike. No good. The water pump is still not working. I called the dealer and without needing to ask they offered to pick the bike up immediately.

At this point I think I need to talk with Alta.

Hello week 5 and beyond.