Chain Slider failures

snydes

Staff member
Little variation of @Fog 25 ’s design...
Rubber block, 1 5/8" wide X 1" long, 1.9" high at the tall end, 1.7" at the short end, cut-out 1.3" wide X .1 deep. 3M automotive trim 2 faced tape top and bottom for good measure.
47FD70C9-21B8-4238-B65E-A0100461574F.jpegA35804FC-B085-4591-BAAD-7034C8346C03.jpeg

Fog 25

Up date on the slider modification. I came up with another spot for reforcement. I noticed the back corner end of the slider at the rear next to the bolt the chain was hitting it so I place another rubber bumper at the spot. That’s where mine broke. I need to clean it up a little I had to put it on at the races last weekend.
B98EADCB-F33A-4276-967F-1100FCC5F9E9.jpeg

snydes

Staff member
Up date on the slider modification. I came up with another spot for reforcement. I noticed the back corner end of the slider at the rear next to the bolt the chain was hitting it so I place another rubber bumper at the spot. That’s where mine broke. I need to clean it up a little I had to put it on at the races last weekend.
View attachment 531

So this is your second broken slider, right?

Ultratoad

This just isn't right.... The slider is CLEARLY of inferior design and/or material.... ALTA should redesign this part and provide them to current owners quickly and under warranty.... To do anything less puts them right down there with ZERO's service and warranty practices.... For them to hold the line on a $2 part is not inspiring....

snydes

Staff member
No only one slider broke, those two spots are where I think that needed reforcement so the new one will not break. So far holding up.

I’m sorry, I couldn’t make out what I was looking at completely. I was thinking it was showing it broke again right after your rubber bumper install. My bad!

rayivers

I reinforced mine with an aluminum strip:

Composite (small).jpg

The strip is 9.25"/235mm long x 1.25"/32mm wide x .125"/3mm thick, JB Welded to the top of the lower slider run. It separated a bit from the plastic near the front as seen in the lower left, but otherwise came out OK (I also added extra epoxy around the rear mounting boss). Only time will tell if it'll survive the hard front chain impacts shown in page 1 of this thread, but the lower run is now nearly as stiff as the upper so hopefully it won't flex much & hold up longer than the stocker.

I needed a 1/4" drive T30 Torx driver (LH boot guard screw tunnels are pretty tight) & M8 combination wrench for the swingarm-bolt clamp, 10Nm torque / blue LocTite on all screws.

snydes

Staff member
@Judaslefourbe can you pass this along to the right person?
They need a block back by the bottom rear mounting bolt that’s were the support is needed. The chain hits the slider there.View attachment 701

You don’t think that the support they added in that drawing would be adequate? That looks to be about right where we both put our rubber blocks.

They are listening!

rayivers

They are listening!
Yes, way cool and much appreciated! If it were me, I'd increase the plastic thickness for the front wraparound section and the entire lower chain run, in addition to the added support shown. Apparently there's violent upwards chain slap against the bottom of the entire lower run, and casing a jump behind the footpegs must be especially nasty.

Fog 25

You don’t think that the support they added in that drawing would be adequate? That looks to be about right where we both put our rubber blocks.

They are listening!
I found out at Mammoth mx that the chain was hitting the rear of the slider next to the bolt with a piece of tape. So I put in a small rubber bumper next to the bolt to help support the slider.9B89FD73-3839-45A6-93F0-693F422EA96F.jpeg

D7F751A3-8CD0-4C48-B37D-0BD7033E2048.jpeg

snydes

Staff member
SN# 019, 2992 miles, 200 hours, all good. My chain is fine too. 'Tis because I go round in circles in a parking lot at 15 mph. That and Troll Trail.

I wonder if any other retail owners have more miles than you? We should have a “high mileage club” thread....