Alta Fast charger

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I have a question about charging, and this seemed to be the best place to put it... If I am charging my bike, and the power goes out/ generator runs out of gas unexpectedly, will this cause a problem? I have never been brave enough to stop the charging process abruptly without allowing the charger to activate the stop charging procedure.

Or am I being paranoid?

datadog

If you need to stop the charging process, just flip the run switch off. Then you can disconnect or whatever you need to do.

Reactions: MDV

schwankl

summary: cords/power to chargers or bikes can be safely pulled anytime
disclosure: only been riding them since july, but put ~2.5k miles riding daily - 50/50 road and trails - the r-chargers and the whole battery system has been very robust

I put the r-chargers thru some torture with a harbor freight 4000 ($279) using the 220v fast charge - the gene's running / continuous is in the around 3.3kw. had ~20 external fault or error 110 before we figured out the throttle/idle screw... We were in san rafael swell, ut ~6kft. I know there is a high alt jet kit for them, will get before next trip, but was fine for the last few days ~6 full charges at 220, once we up'ed the idle screw. Pulling the dog-claw out from the bike (i wonder if datadog designed that interconnect :) ) during any time of the charge has been ok for me.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Thanks for the info, makes me less concerned about charging in the winter, power goes out around here pretty often.

schwankl

I do want to comment that datadog is right on the proper and safe method to stop charging. when given the option: turn off the run switch ... but the system is robust enough to handle power interruptions and whatever thd the harbor freight 4000 generator puts out.

bluefxstc

14Vdc at 220 A is 3080W (14*220=3080. The fast charger is 3800W (see post #30) so not sure what would happen. You would also have some conversion losses in the inverter, probably 3-5%, which wouldn't help. @Philip, are you using the fast charger with your van setup and what kind of voltage/current are you seeing?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a thread about my current van charging setup: 240V Inverter in a Van or Truck

I have Recipe #3 right now, and it works well for me. The voltage is 230VAC (and I also have 115V AC). I still do not have an ammeter installed, but 16A that we heard numerous times is what I am expecting to see.

A typical truck single alternator cannot produce the required 300A of current, so you either need to have dual alternators connected in parallel or deep cycle batteries, Lithium preferred.

Here is more info about my setup:
My Moto Van build thread

Alisescu

Give me a call if you are still in need of a plug adapter for the L14-30 to 5-15 plug. I have some dongles that are UL approved in stock that have been wired correctly for the AltaView attachment 237 charger.
Hello there! Where can I order one? I have a fast charger that I want to use with a generator outdoors, and also I want to be able to charge the bike at home at 110.thanks

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Hello there! Where can I order one? I have a fast charger that I want to use with a generator outdoors, and also I want to be able to charge the bike at home at 110.thanks
If you call Elite Motorsports and they say they do not have them anymore, you can either make one yourself or ask someone to make one for you.

Here are the instructions:
240v female to 110v male adapter

F451

Thanks for all the great info in this thread guys. Yesterday I put together an adapter cord so I can use my fast charger on 110 circuits. Also learned a bit about adapters during the process and updated two of my old generator cords with Nema 14 30 plugs so I can use them with my new generator.

IMG_6322-M.jpg

Charging! Psyched!

IMG_6324-S.jpg

Pintro

Is it possible to add the on-board charger of the SM to a MXR or EXR?
I have a MXR that i will try to convert to road legal. Would be cool if i can just plug it in at work , without hauling the big charger in a backpack back and forth.

ElectroBraap

Is it possible to add the on-board charger of the SM to a MXR or EXR?
I have a MXR that i will try to convert to road legal. Would be cool if i can just plug it in at work , without hauling the big charger in a backpack back and forth.

Indeed possible! You would need to flash the appropriate firmware for the onboard charger. 👌

-Electro

Top Bottom