24 Hours of Starvation Ridge in WA -- October 26 & 27, 2019 (new dates)

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
FYI I ran the Alta at China hat again this year. I missed the generator I staged at mile 32 and the bike ran flat at about 33.5 while I was riding/scanning looking for it.

The alta is zero fun to push in the open desert, but the range estimate for a ~20mph avg pace was spot on.
Good feedback, thanks for sharing.

And I suspect the Alta is no fun to push in any terrain or climate.

scoott

Just heard from Scott the owner/operator of the Starvation Ridge 24 Hr Race course, him and his wife are so cool and supportive. Here's the gist of it:
  • Scott said: "Happy to see electrics coming out."
  • Generators are allowed at night. The quieter the better.
  • Mileage an be anywhere from 15 to 22. No longer than that. Key is how wet, more so than length.
  • The Ridge has faster AND slower sections than Eddieville. Not as many jumps. Lots more chop at the Ridge.
This pretty much confirms what I was recalling about the race, but good to hear it straight from Scott. -Ed

Call me about riding the Ridge sometime. I could accomidate all your team members interested in the layout/running of the Ridge. We could go into the dark also if interested. The 24hr is 3 races in one.....start to dusk....dusk to dawn ( LIGHTS BABY ) .... and dawn to finish. In 16 years, we are 9 years dry to perfect.....7 years perfect to not so perfect!
If a group came down I would be happy to quafe a few adult beverages and lecture about the ins and outs of 24hr racing. After a riding show and tell.
One little kernel. 3 lightsources.......bike, batteries( or 2 separate batteries).... and a FLASHLIGHT!!! Seriously, I was doing final sweep at our 12hr race and ended up limping in with a AAA pocket penlight when my wiring failed to my HID. Mark at Task has some good lights at fair prices, I really like his helmet light, good spread with long battery life. Oh, the cold shortens battery life also...
Lighting is huge. Amount , focus, COLOR of the light, field of light. Pencil beams are useless, wide driving style lights are OK. If it is dry, the 6,000k LEDS make it hard to see detail in the light colored dust. If it is wet, the dark soil eats up every watt you can throw at it. I have fielded our club teams on modern as well as 80's Huskies. Batteries only ...work well as long as your lithium battery does not explode! ( Had that happen once).
my FAVORITE is a modified 8" HID with 50 watt ballast and 4200K color .

The 3 doorways through the farmhouse are 36", 34", and 32" wide. That last doorway really gets pounded!

Scott

bluefxstc

I was waiting to see how the team did on the NE 24 hour race at the end of July to see how we want to proceed and how many of the people who expressed interest were still able/willing to participate. I am still in, but will be on the slower team. I am interested in completing the race without getting hurt, rather than winning.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I think this evolved into the 2019 thread. Maybe one of the mods could update the thread title with the dates for 2019 (October 26 & 27).

LINK: Over the Bars Gang 2019 Schedule
Done.

I have also moved the three 24-hour threads from the Racing sub-forum into the Regional sub-forum, and created thread links from Racing. While these events are racing, I think we are using them primarily as local social events with opportunities to meet, ride, and have fun together.

One does not even need to race if they only want to come over to hang out, watch, and help the racing team.

Make sure to click "Watch" at the top of your regional sub-forum to not miss your local events!

snydes

Staff member
Ok, with that length I believe it’s possible to make a lap based on my experience with our 24 hour event. If it’s much over 20 miles I’d be skeptical though. Long wide open runs are going to have to me managed. Definitely can’t go flat out. Might have to go conservative on everyones first lap to see what you have left and adjust from there. I believe our fastest guy (@Matt ) came in with 35-40% on a little over an eleven mile loop. The average SOC was 50% after a lap.

F451

I agree to keep it conservative the first lap out there. For a data point, I've regularly been getting 40 miles of mixed street and dirt road on my MXR, speeds varying between 20-40 mph, "power setting" on 2 and 3, so I think the Alta's will do fine in race conditions if the laps are up to 20 miles long. If its a mud race, all bets are off as wheel spin will be sucking up electrons big time.

privateer703

AOF Addict
I kept it in map 1 the entire time and the 11 mile loop took me to 60%. That was with very little wheel spin and taking it really easy. If you had a 20 mile loop you won't be fast and if you have rain with slick, muddy conditions you may have a problem.

F451

I kept it in map 1 the entire time and the 11 mile loop took me to 60%. That was with very little wheel spin and taking it really easy. If you had a 20 mile loop you won't be fast and if you have rain with slick, muddy conditions you may have a problem.

Did any of you guys do 2 consecutive laps on the Alta's? I'm guessing not, but wondering.

I'm not sure I agree with your "you won't be fast" statement, when I've been out and about on my street and dirt road rides, I've not been babying the throttle in 2-3 setting and as I mentioned I've been consistently getting 40 miles on a full charge. Out at Starvation Ridge there aren't too many spots that will see 40 mph speeds (if any, depends on the rider I guess), and there's plenty of sections where its semi tight single track, so speeds are fairly low there.