2021 Alta Rally/Race/Meetup (September 25-26)

snydes

Staff member
If there was an adequate location in the middle of the country that would be ideal, but to the best of my knowledge there are not many appealing options until you get closer to the coasts. If anyone has any interesting suggestions, please let us know.

My experience going to Florida and Georgia for the last few years is mid February to mid March seems to be a sweet spot, temps get good and it’s before the spring precipitation. Also for us northerners it’s about the time we are ready to go insane from cabin fever, which helps hold us over until spring hits back home.

JW884

Here are some pictures;
1st Official Northeast Alta Rally Picture Thread

The rally was sort of a trial get together for this event;
Northeast 24hr Challenge picture thread

I took a bunch of video but never got around to editing any of it.

@Philip had the best video from the last lap of the 24 hour race... “Viva la Alta!”:LOL:
The rally looked fun! And not sure how I'd fair in an event like the 24hr haha but I'd give it a shot. I'd love to see the footage if you get around to it

leeo45

Geezer in denial
One disclaimer is the spots I’m recommending are not going to be appropriate for organizing races, purely recreational. We could certainly organize a whole host of various rides of different types, but it would not be exactly what our original poster, Matt, was envisioning as far as racing.

Actually Highland Park hosts a couple of hare scrambles each year with a couple hundred riders at each event. The Zombie Hare Scramble in October includes costumes for course workers and racers! In the past they also held MX races although I don't think that has happened in the last couple of years. I doubt they would want to shut the whole place down for us to hold a HS on the full race course, especially on a weekend, but unless there is an insurance issue I am guessing we could work with them to set up a shorter HS course and reserve one of the MX tracks for a day. The same might be true for Durhamtown although I don't know those owners like I do at HP.

Unfortunately I think it will be hard to find a location that makes it easy for both the west coast and east coast AOFers. Even if we identify a fantastic place in the middle of the country it would be four days on the road round-trip for those of us on the ends; which I think is most of us. For example, Red River Trails in Bulcher, TX northwest of Dallas (host of the first Red Bull Last Man Standing event) is 20+ hours each way to San Diego, 26 hours to Hartford, CT, and 30 hours to Portland, OR. I would love to see one big gathering, however it might be more achievable to have an AOF East event and and AOF West event, or possibly agree to alternate sides of the country each year ?? Just thinking out loud....

privateer703

AOF Addict
Sounds like we need a West and East Coast rally. Also, if it looks like it's only going to be folks from the northeast, would be easier on all of us to do it in NY. That's assuming this is spring/summer 2021, not winter 2020. But it all depends on how many southern riders are interested.

snydes

Staff member
As it is I’m likely going to hit Georgia in February, so if any of you guys down south or wherever want to meet up at one of those places at that time give me a holler. I’d also likely do a Northeast gathering summer 2021.

@privateer703 , check your travel time to either of those Georgia spots, I bet it’s not drastically different than the time to Tall Pines. You’d love Georgia.

JW884

I agree with the separate East/West rallies and maybe we should do a poll for each to see the preferred type of riding? Or all agree to go to one of those larger parks that Snydes and Leeo45 mentioned (since I don't believe there are a lot or any of them in the northeast) There are many great tracks without trails around that we could do in PA, NY, or around there but would probably like to have something for everyone. And hopefully it'll be easier to travel by then since some restrictions have gotten tighter since even a month or two ago.

privateer703

AOF Addict
As it is I’m likely going to hit Georgia in February, so if any of you guys down south or wherever want to meet up at one of those places at that time give me a holler. I’d also likely do a Northeast gathering summer 2021.

@privateer703 , check your travel time to either of those Georgia spots, I bet it’s not drastically different than the time to Tall Pines. You’d love Georgia.

Google maps says I'm 11.75 hrs from Highland Park and 3.5 hrs from Tall Pines. For me to make it a long weekend, that's the difference of two riding days and since I'm not sure what my workload will be I can't be sure I can take enough time to make GA worth it for me.

Matt

E-Rider
Tall pines is about an hour away from silver springs which is a fun dirtbike track in NY. If we did another in NY people are welcome to stay at my land again if desired or they could stay at tall pines. My land is about 30 minutes form silver springs and 45 to tall pines. I do love the idea of hitting up Georgia in the winter though. May save up some vacation for that concept and make it a week trip

Matt

E-Rider
I am curious to all. What kind of event would it take to get you to drive 20 hours or so to come? If we had an official race and created a large EV power sports festival with companies bringing prototypes and pro riders coming with rock bands staged to play in the evenings and if a bunch of the people who built Alta came including the founders. I know that is a ridiculous dream that won't happen but I am curious non the less what it would take to get everyone out for a an event. I know some just wouldn't be able to no matter what based on work and scheduling but I am curious for the rest what it would take.

Mikec265

In the middle of winter I'd love an extra excuse to go down south from PA.
On a side note any Alta's are always welcome on my track near Erie, PA.
I am just starting to look into installing a sprinkler system, only problem is I know nothing about them.

Scooter584

I am curious to all. What kind of event would it take to get you to drive 20 hours or so to come? If we had an official race and created a large EV power sports festival with companies bringing prototypes and pro riders coming with rock bands staged to play in the evenings and if a bunch of the people who built Alta came including the founders. I know that is a ridiculous dream that won't happen but I am curious non the less what it would take to get everyone out for a an event. I know some just wouldn't be able to no matter what based on work and scheduling but I am curious for the rest what it would take.
I would be down for that!

snydes

Staff member
Google maps says I'm 11.75 hrs from Highland Park and 3.5 hrs from Tall Pines. For me to make it a long weekend, that's the difference of two riding days and since I'm not sure what my workload will be I can't be sure I can take enough time to make GA worth it for me.

That’s right, you moved...I’m thinking you are still down in Virginia.

privateer703

AOF Addict
Yeah, I'm just outside Altoona now.
This winter won't be any good for me, we will be trying to get our house built. I'd definitely be up for going to large Alta gathering in GA, it's just harder for me to commit to longer trips in advance.