2021 Alta Rally/Race/Meetup (September 25-26)

Matt

E-Rider
I would like to propose we as a community of Alta riders get together next year or whenever possible in the future. @Edabdo and I had discussed earlier this year setting something up in NY prior to COVID coming into existence. I am starting this thread to help facilitate this dream and hash out plans that would bring in the most Alta riders possible. NY has the means to hold an event like this but I realize this is on the far end of the country. Imagine an event where we get 100+ of us together to rip on our bikes and hang out for a few days. We could hold the first All electric MX race and first all-electric hair scramble, all in good fun of course. (Personally I would love to see a gate of 40 Altas take off aiming of the holeshot). What would it take for you individually to come to an event such as this? Where is a location the most people would be willing to travel to? (I know personally I would be willing to travel all the way to California but I doubt many others feel similarly). Let's talk about it and discuss feasibility. Maybe we could make a pole on a few topics regarding meeting up once some more concrete ideas have been established.

snydes

Staff member
You can count on me and the Mrs. to attend. There does seem to be a decent concentration of owners up your way Matt, so there is potential to do it in that area.

I think though to really draw a large group in on a national scale we need an appropriate facility. I have only ever been to two places that in my mind would have enough to offer for a larger gathering, both are in Georgia, Durhamtown Off Road Resort and Highland Park. These two places are like Disneyland for dirt bike fanatics, lots to offer, tracks and trails. Durhamtown is the larger facility but I think Highland Park would be more accommodating.

snydes

Staff member
I’m going to sound like a salesman on the Georgia locations but here is why;
Durhamtown;
-Rental cabins/RV’s for those without RV’s
-Full hook up RV sites including 50 amp sites (240v=fast charging)
-On site restaurant
-Pro shop
-Rental motorcycles/ATV’s/SXS’s for non Alta riding guests
-Fun, flowing one way trail systems of every type
-Multiple MX tracks including one of the best national level tracks I’ve been on
-Various assorted “play” tracks (straight rythem style, drag race, flat track, arenacross, bowl track, etc.)

Highland park I love and has arguably better trails with more elevation change and multiple MX tracks, but isn’t as developed as Durhamtown as far as rentals and full hook up RV sites. I do think they would take better care of us though.

We have multiple other members that can comment on these places first hand, @leeo45 @Trialsman and I believe @wildman240 to name a few.

JW884

I'll have mine this month so I'm in. I'd love to do it up around NY but would still go if it's further since that's more realistic.. Durhamtown sounds awesome with all different disciplines to be tested and accommodations. And I agree with OneLapper that if it's in the winter it's a great reason to leave the cold up here.

snydes

Staff member
One disclaimer is the spots I’m recommending are not going to be appropriate for organizing races, purely recreational. We could certainly organize a whole host of various rides of different types, but it would not be exactly what our original poster, Matt, was envisioning as far as racing.

Matt

E-Rider
One disclaimer is the spots I’m recommending are not going to be appropriate for organizing races, purely recreational. We could certainly organize a whole host of various rides of different types, but it would not be exactly what our original poster, Matt, was envisioning as far as racing.
The racing thing was more just a for fun dream. We could all get out on the track and have an unofficial race I pressume. We can call it a race and say it's the first all electric one even if it isn't official haha

Matt

E-Rider
I'll have mine this month so I'm in. I'd love to do it up around NY but would still go if it's further since that's more realistic.. Durhamtown sounds awesome with all different disciplines to be tested and accommodations. And I agree with OneLapper that if it's in the winter it's a great reason to leave the cold up here.
We could also hold another north east rally for a long weekend or something. The first one was a blast.

snydes

Staff member
We could also hold another north east rally for a long weekend or something. The first one was a blast.

The best part of an organized all electric ride is the looks you get when a group of silent bikes go whizzing by. Some of the reactions from our Tall Pines ride were great.

I am definitely in for 2021. But have we written off 2020 already?

Unfortunately for me yes I have :(

JW884

The racing thing was more just a for fun dream. We could all get out on the track and have an unofficial race I pressume. We can call it a race and say it's the first all electric one even if it isn't official haha
Yeah I assumed it would be much more difficult to organize an official race but an unofficial race would still be fun and probably get some attention there.
And I would love to go to one around here! I'm 95% a moto rider but will happily try some other forms of riding with a group like that. Any footage of that rally?

Matt

E-Rider
I love the ideas so far. I would be interested to hear some West Coasters input. I know these locations are pretty far away though Georgia sounds like an awesome place to meet that would work well.

Jayfox911

I would be game for something within 400 miles or so from San Diego.
That way it’s a full day of driving to get there and not multiple days for me to take off work.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
When I was into cars, most of our national gatherings were in Indiana and Michigan. We tried to go as far west as St. Louis and Memphis, hoping to lure out the West coasters, but it seemed that to them anything farther than Vegas or Phoenix was too far away and required to take more than a whole week off of work. So this is how we ended up with most of our gatherings in the Midwest.

I think a weekend in Georgia in October-November or April-May would be absolutely perfect for those of us in the rust belt states. A great way to finish a season, or to start the next one.