2019 mxr fast charger issue

FLmxer

I have a new mxr and a fast charger but I had it in storage and this is the first time I have tried the fast charger. There doesn't seem to be any power on the out cord from charger to bike. The gfci breaker is lit green and I used a volt pen indicator to verify power in wire and the wire from in is powered up but the out has nothing. Also the fan doesn't come on and there is no noise or heat from charger. Anyone have any ideas?

standbyu

I have a new mxr and a fast charger but I had it in storage and this is the first time I have tried the fast charger. There doesn't seem to be any power on the out cord from charger to bike. The gfci breaker is lit green and I used a volt pen indicator to verify power in wire and the wire from in is powered up but the out has nothing. Also the fan doesn't come on and there is no noise or heat from charger. Anyone have any ideas?
maybe dccp firmware update to 2.1.6 ...... worked for me

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor

Few things:
1. Is the charger plugged into the bike?
2. Sounds like the GCFI is pushed in as there is a green light.
3. The fan/heat/behavior will not occur untill the bike recognizes the charger. If your bike is a MX/MXR and has never been updated, it could not handshake correctly, and be indicating a code on the display of the bike.
As @standbyu indicated, you might need to update the bikes FW in order to use the rapid charger.

FLmxer

Ok i will try and figure out how to update. Also I tried my original slow charger that was submerged in the hurricane and it came on for a minute and started blinking red and then there was smoke coming from charger and gfci tripped and can get the gfci to come on eventually but it flips quickly. Is there a place I can get the charger serviced? Thank you for the help.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Ok i will try and figure out how to update. Also I tried my original slow charger that was submerged in the hurricane and it came on for a minute and started blinking red and then there was smoke coming from charger and gfci tripped and can get the gfci to come on eventually but it flips quickly. Is there a place I can get the charger serviced? Thank you for the help.

Only way to update would be to borrow a multitool laptop. Possibly is available in the FL area.

Alta or Alta accessories since the time of Alta's closure has not been really serviced by a dealer persay. You could try WMR Performance, since there always interested in helping Alta customers.

FLmxer

I'm really worried about my battery getting too low before I can get update to charge. This bike is brand new. Friend bought it because his kids got electric minis and he never rode it. I bought it from him while I was injured and then hurricane ruined my original charger and Rocky Mountain gifted me this fast charger but now my battery is very low and I am worried.

FLmxer

I took my original slow charger to an electrician today but now he says he us so busy he can't even look at it until Friday even though I told him it is time sensitive. My bike now only shows the word Alta and a quick picture of a battery when I turn key on and then shuts off. I need to get a charge to download the update to use my fast charger. A bit of an issue.
I had a good amount of charge before moving it to my farm and not looking at it for a few weeks and then it's had this quick on off display since. I couldn't imagine it could be another issue by chance like the 9v or other because its never been ridden except a one armed test ride in parking lot when i picked it up? I need to find someone close with a charger or pay someone to send me a loner. I will pay whatever it takes if someone has an idea.

FLmxer

I called WMR and from what I described he thinks my battery may be bad. I'm going to bring it to them and see if I need to jump off a bridge or not.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I called WMR and from what I described he thinks my battery may be bad. I'm going to bring it to them and see if I need to jump off a bridge or not.

I took my original slow charger to an electrician today but now he says he us so busy he can't even look at it until Friday even though I told him it is time sensitive. My bike now only shows the word Alta and a quick picture of a battery when I turn key on and then shuts off. I need to get a charge to download the update to use my fast charger. A bit of an issue.
I had a good amount of charge before moving it to my farm and not looking at it for a few weeks and then it's had this quick on off display since. I couldn't imagine it could be another issue by chance like the 9v or other because its never been ridden except a one armed test ride in parking lot when i picked it up? I need to find someone close with a charger or pay someone to send me a loner. I will pay whatever it takes if someone has an idea.
Is the display turning off? There is a blue LED on the battery which shows the pack is on.

rayivers

Maybe this is coming too late or you've already found something, but any decent electonics-repair place can at least tell you quickly what's wrong with your original charger, especially with a tip in advance. :) Here's a link to electronics-repair places in Fort Myers, and surely there are many others in the surrounding areas. I've seen so many techs that had all sorts of stuff in their shops - appliances, guitar/hi-fi amps, industrial controllers, transmitters, you name it. I've also seen equipment brought back to life after salt-water immersion, but it has to be immediately fresh-water rinsed (preferably distilled water) / bone-dried / powered up on a Variac.

FLmxer

Maybe this is coming too late or you've already found something, but any decent electonics-repair place can at least tell you quickly what's wrong with your original charger, especially with a tip in advance. :) Here's a link to electronics-repair places in Fort Myers, and surely there are many others in the surrounding areas. I've seen so many techs that had all sorts of stuff in their shops - appliances, guitar/hi-fi amps, industrial controllers, transmitters, you name it. I've also seen equipment brought back to life after salt-water immersion, but it has to be immediately fresh-water rinsed (preferably distilled water) / bone-dried / powered up on a Variac.
Thank you, yes i did and he sounds knowledgeable but can't get to it till tomorrow at earliest so hopefull on that.

rayivers

Thank you, yes i did and he sounds knowledgeable but can't get to it till tomorrow at earliest so hopefull on that.
OK, but since time is short my point is that many techs can at least look at it, possibly while you wait. If it doesn't work out you can always take it to your guy, maybe with info/readings from the 1st tech that will help him speed things up. Also, whatever smoked probably needs replacing and may not be in your guy's on-hand stock, so there's also the parts-ordering issue to be aware of.

rayivers

Well he says the slow charger is beyond repair. 😞

EVSource may be able to help you out - it looks like they have the same model CANBUS charger as yours in stock, provide free programming w/sale, and possibly do repairs/exchanges as well (don't know about that). They might want your unit sent to them beforehand, to swap the output cable.

Mark911

You can "hot wire" the 12v bus voltage and at least get the dash to stay on and display any fault codes. I've described the hot wire procedure somewhere in one of my posts. The BMS shouldn't allow the battery to drop below the low voltage cutoff point. Unless there's a voltage/current leak/short somewhere in the system you should be fine until you get a working charger. If there's some leak you could be in bad shape if any cell(s) drop below 2.5v for a couple weeks or so. Depending on the actual low voltage and time the cell(s) could be permanently damaged. If you are really worried or suspect something is really wrong, you can remove the pack, take the top cover off and manually check/charge the pack. But you need to really know what you are doing or you could add to the damage. Too bad there's so few of us that know how to troubleshoot and fix these kinds of issues. I'm in California.

Reactions: #76