2018 Alta MXR Shock Re-Spring and Re-Valve

Fod

Sweet! Was that your personal track in the video with Charlie?
Yeah remember he invited the electric riders to come over and enjoy the track he runs! He offered free riding, housing, bike maintenance, day care for our young ones, and food for as long as we like if I remember correctly! :poop:

MattB

Unfortunately they were not willing to share. I’ll have to look when I do an oil change.

Matt

MattB

Yeah remember he invited the electric riders to come over and enjoy the track he runs! He offered free riding, housing, bike maintenance, day care for our young ones, and food for as long as we like if I remember correctly! :poop:
Tents for everyone! Kids can sleep in pine forests right? 😜

Reactions: Fod

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately they were not willing to share. I’ll have to look when I do an oil change.
I will be mailing my fork out to Adam at Kreft Moto soon. He can do the fork without looking at the bike.

Some local Alta owner promised to give him the whole bike. He will then measure things and will be able to do shocks. The problem is that I am not a hostage to that other Alta owner who I do not know.

I guess I should ask Adam to introduce me, so that I could hurry him up myself.

If that does not work as planned, I will be calling your tuner asking to buy your shim stack specs.

MattB

I’m probably heading back to Highland Park this weekend. I will try to talk to the head tech while I am there. I think they should share the information as it will help Alta owners get on the right track and potentially sell more bikes. :)

MattB

Since I purchased though them the entire suspension work was 50% off which Included revalve of fork and shock, new spring (which I did not end up using), oil, seals, and any incidentals along the way.

Matt

Fod

Since I purchased though them the entire suspension work was 50% off which Included revalve of fork and shock, new spring (which I did not end up using), oil, seals, and any incidentals along the way.

Matt
I wonder why they sold you a spring?!?!?! What rate spring did they recommend/sell you that you didn't use?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Just got an email from Alta:
Kevin Burns (Alta Motors)
May 9, 15:08 MST

Hi Philip,

We are currently developing the the specs for the MXR's rear shock. They are not ready yet, but we will get back to you with that information once validated. Thank your for your understanding and support.

Stay Fast!

Kevin

MattB

I wonder why they sold you a spring?!?!?! What rate spring did they recommend/sell you that you didn't use?
Initial thought was that I needed a heavier spring but didn’t in the end. I kept it anyway just In case I wanted to go stiffer in the future. If someone with an Mx needs it I would be more than happy to sell it.

Mark911

Spring rates and damping work collectively but in totally different ways. Trying to change one to make up for the other never works. In addition, if a major change is made to one end a corresponding change should be made to the other to maintain proper balance (assuming the bike was balanced within reason to begin with). Otherwise, strange things can happen when a series of successive bumps are hit. Many tuners create what I call "one bump wonders". Bike feel great on a single hit or two. However, hit some major braking or accelerating bumps and it's a different story.

rayivers

Bike feel great on a single hit or two. However, hit some major braking or accelerating bumps and it's a different story.

Yes - it's so cool to have the bike stay level w/only the wheels moving over a succession of bumps, instead of the rocking-horse crap. I wonder how long it'll take production MX bikes to get active damping control, like some works-MX and street bikes have. It would be great to have separate shock settings for acceleration, and fork settings for braking.

Mark911

I think the first step will be variable viscosity fluids which are already popular in many automotive applications. Some of the new mtn bike valving designs are interesting as well. I envision some form of pre-active (as opposed to re-active) system where the terrain ahead is constantly being scanned and settings applied immediately before they are needed based on time step analysis of the scanned data. That would be cool.

rayivers

That would be outstanding! I guess that would ferro-fluid or something similar?

Maybe you've seen this already & it's not exactly on topic, but I still can't can't enough of it (1:30 on is amazing)

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I envision some form of pre-active (as opposed to re-active) system where the terrain ahead is constantly being scanned and settings applied immediately before they are needed based on time step analysis of the scanned data. That would be cool.
A couple of years ago I heard Ford was investing in this exact technology.

MattB

I rode out at Highland Park yesterday and had a chance to speak with them about my particular suspension specs. They said "Giving out specs on the suspension would probably not work because each setup is very different."

My particular setup is geared for :

207lbs with gear
C Class Mx Rider

I do however think Alta needs to adopt a different out of the box standard that would suit the motocross rider since it is technically an Mx bike. If a customer buys an MxR for mostly trail riding then they can rework the suspension. Every MX bike I've owned over the last 10 years (mostly KTM) has been 80% ride-able off the show room floor. The Alta MXR off the show room floor would have been okay for trails but not even close for an MX Track. I do think they are working on this and will eventually have it nailed, it's just going to take some time.