2018 Alta MXR Shock Re-Spring and Re-Valve

Fod

Hey Matt,
Alta got back to me with the latest stacks for the rear shock. From what I can understand from the emails back and forth with warranty is that there were running changes made to the shock valving on the MXR. As of today the latest valving specs I posted are on the resource page. Any way you can let me know what number your MXR is and if Highland Park can tell us what the stock valving that was found in your shock? I really want to get my shock squared away but warranty has been not as accommodating asI assumed from a small local start up company. I am told only way to get my shock warranty processed is to leave my bike at a not so local dealer for an undisclosed period of time. Kinda sucks when I sold my yz along with some vital organs to purchase the bike.
Thanks!
**UPDATE
So Alta stepped up and is allowing me to ship just the shock for evaluation to one of their dealers/WP service centers. Thought I would share that as they are becoming more accommodating now! Once they get back to me I will let you all know what was found.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My MXR suspension is going for a revalve as soon as possible. Just came back from a local track that I am planning to race this season, and the short and steep jump faces, some with kickers, made it almost impossible to jump in a predictable manner. Almost endoed twice.

I would have definitely endoed had I been on an ICE bike because I would have not thought to upshift up in the air, no such reflex yet. But on a Redshift correcting an endo with a throttle is pretty easy. But even on a Redshift I used and maxed out that ability half a dozen times today. After just two practice sessions I called it a day. I felt exhausted physically and psychologically.

Fog 25

My MXR suspension is going for a revalve as soon as possible. Just came back from a local track that I am planning to race this season, and the short and steep jump faces, some with kickers, made it almost impossible to jump in a predictable manner. Almost endoed twice.

I would have definitely endoed had I been on an ICE bike because I would have not thought to upshift up in the air, no such reflex yet. But on a Redshift correcting an endo with a throttle is pretty easy. But even on a Redshift I used and maxed out that ability half a dozen times today. After just two practice sessions I called it a day. I felt exhausted physically and psychologically.
Philip just a quick question are you shutting throttle completely off on the jumps in the air? II found that with the throttle shut off the front and will drop due to the regen. You need to keep it cracked open a little bit and this allows the bike to fly more stable.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Philip just a quick question are you shutting throttle completely off on the jumps in the air? II found that with the throttle shut off the front and will drop due to the regen. You need to keep it cracked open a little bit and this allows the bike to fly more stable.
Yep, I figured to keep the throttle open the very first time at a motocross track. Today was different, there were kickers on the short and steep faces of some big jumps. Those kickers were blowing through my whole rear suspension travel. My throttle was neutral on the face of the jump but wide open right after that. Still, that was barely enough not to crash.

MattB

Hey Philip,

Sorry for the delay in response. My vin is 246.

I don’t think anyone riding mx is going to be able to get away with the stock suspension. It’s dangerously far off the mark. It makes no sense to me as the new Ktm bikes run the same components and feel fantastic! Even if Alta just copied the Ktm specs they would be 100% closer than they are now.

Matt

Reactions: Fod

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Philip,

Sorry for the delay in response. My vin is 246.

I don’t think anyone riding mx is going to be able to get away with the stock suspension. It’s dangerously far off the mark. It makes no sense to me as the new Ktm bikes run the same components and feel fantastic! Even if Alta just copied the Ktm specs they would be 100% closer than they are now.

Matt
I think they kept the stock KTM damping (to save money) and just slapped on a much stiffer rear spring. The front is so-so, bit the rear is underdamped.

rayivers

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if even 25% of Alta (or Big 5 MX-bike) owners mainly used their bikes on closed-circuit tracks. Maybe Alta figures the racing / big-air guys will set their bike up for that themselves, as they probably did for every other new bike they got.

Ray

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if even 25% of Alta (or Big 5 MX-bike) owners mainly used their bikes on closed-circuit tracks. Maybe Alta figures the racing / big-air guys will set their bike up for that themselves, as they probably did for every other new bike they got.

Ray
Well, Altas are not suited for long open trails yet, so it is going to be mostly just us in the time being. Alta should better take that into account. After they screwed up badly with the 2017 MX springs and damping they fixed the springs on the 2018 MXR. Next year I hope they would fix the damping. The MXR is marketed for motocross and racing, so it should walk the walk.

MattB

Well, Altas are not suited for long open trails yet, so it is going to be mostly just us in the time being. Alta should better take that into account. After they screwed up badly with the 2017 MX springs and damping they fixed the springs on the 2018 MXR. Next year I hope they would fix the damping. The MXR is marketed for motocross and racing, so it should walk the walk.
Amen Brother!!

Oded

Going a bit off topic here, but from my point of view, the Redshifts are most suited for the weekend trail warriors who ride 3 hours of enduro and head back home to the wife & kids. For these guys (like myself) the suspension (even the 4cs) is doing a good job in soaking up the terrain.

They can not sell the same bike, and expect it to handle well, both for enduro and MX. The same way, a KTM SX is not pleasent for enduro and vice versa.

To emphesize that, the MX version is quite nice for trails, and I am taking a wild guess that the MXR also behaves well on the trails (although being stiffer).

rayivers

The MXR is marketed for motocross and racing

Every MX bike is marketed for motocross and racing, but few are actually used that way (and re actual competition, is there even an AMA electric class?). And even if Alta revised their OEM suspension to please some racers - the best that could be hoped for - an outdoor-MX type setup (which would work for me) is obviously completely different than SX or FS suspension, so it would depend what 'walk' we're talking about. I also imagine Alta's been closely following Zero's owner feedback and reviews, which for years have mentioned oversprung/overdamped/brutally harsh suspension (both mine certainly qualify) and may not have wanted to go down that same path.

Ray

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I also imagine Alta's been closely following Zero's owner feedback and reviews, which for years have mentioned oversprung/overdamped/brutally harsh suspension (both mine certainly qualify) and may not have wanted to go down that same path.
If they had, I really wish they had not. Zeros are irrelevant in the motocross world. Trail riding, maybe. But this is what the EX is for.

I am convinced the MXR rear shock was just a result of a mad rush to start selling the latest and greatest MXR bikes ASAP, and tune the suspension later.

snydes

Staff member
I am convinced the MXR rear shock was just a result of a mad rush to start selling the latest and greatest MXR bikes ASAP, and tune the suspension later.

I have no doubt there is truth to this. They have a lot on their plate and learning things every day I’m sure. Chasing the ideal suspension set up is a challenge that all the manufacturers are constantly striving for, and they have decades of experience at it.

rayivers

Zeros are irrelevant in the motocross world.
Nowadays, absolutely - AFAIK Alta and Tacita are the only ones currently mass-producing electric MX bikes, which Zero hasn't made for years. From 2007-2013, the story was quite different; Zero was the sole worldwide producer of electric MX bikes, apart from a small number of Quantyas (by any MX standard these bikes were awful, but they were silent and available for the most part).

It's so cool to now have the choice of a real electric MX race bike, GNCC-type bike (EX), and supermoto. Prior to 2017, electric dirt bikers like myself had to buy whatever was available and sort-of close, then try to turn it into something that could be lived with.

Ray

Fod

I have no doubt there is truth to this. They have a lot on their plate and learning things every day I’m sure. Chasing the ideal suspension set up is a challenge that all the manufacturers are constantly striving for, and they have decades of experience at it.
I agree to a point. Seriously though just one ride at any mx track should have brought up flags! This is my first bike I have owned that I will be tuning if the warranty on my shock shows no issues other then the lsc detent fix (From the sounds of it on this forum we are all experiencing same thing). I have never felt stock valving was not adequate for me in all 15 years I have been riding till now. Shoot...I even rode some KTM XCF bikes at a demo at Pala MX track years ago and that was even adequate! It takes effort to be off as much as this shock is off for MX.

snydes

Staff member
I agree to a point. Seriously though just one ride at any mx track should have brought up flags! This is my first bike I have owned that I will be tuning if the warranty on my shock shows no issues other then the lsc detent fix (From the sounds of it on this forum we are all experiencing same thing). I have never felt stock valving was not adequate for me in all 15 years I have been riding till now. Shoot...I even rode some KTM XCF bikes at a demo at Pala MX track years ago and that was even adequate! It takes effort to be off as much as this shock is off for MX.

I don't doubt what you guys are saying! I am guilty of being overly sympathetic with them I guess. Hopefully they are taking notes and will have it fixed for next year.

MattB

Every MX bike is marketed for motocross and racing, but few are actually used that way (and re actual competition, is there even an AMA electric class?). And even if Alta revised their OEM suspension to please some racers - the best that could be hoped for - an outdoor-MX type setup (which would work for me) is obviously completely different than SX or FS suspension, so it would depend what 'walk' we're talking about. I also imagine Alta's been closely following Zero's owner feedback and reviews, which for years have mentioned oversprung/overdamped/brutally harsh suspension (both mine certainly qualify) and may not have wanted to go down that same path.

Ray
AMA is going to be left behind if they don’t adopt the E-bike class soon. I would be willing to host the first “electric only” Mx race with or without AMA. 😎