2018 Alta fault code 103 second time

zootie

Last year I took the bike to the shop for the firmware update. It charged fine after that. Been off the bike due to injury & rode it and when I tried to charge it (was at 30%) it gave the same fault code. After looking at one of the Alta videos I bought a 9 volt lithium battery hoping this was the problem. Unfortunately the dealer still couldn't fix it as the firmware had already been updated so he tried unsuccessfully changing that battery. I'm hoping someone on this forum can help. My husband has a 2017 with no problems so far.

snydes

Staff member
That’s a new one as far as I know. Here is a list that was previously posted;
to complete the list maybe its good to copy and fill in , so we have a complete list at least ! i fill in 009

001: Complete
002: Start Timeout
003: HVIL Cancel
004: DC Disconnect
005: Soft Stop
006: Charger State Error
007: Isolation
009: Charger port wet
101: Positive Relay Welded
102: Negative Relay Welded
103: Precharge Failed
104: No Proximity
105: AC Cable Disconnect
106: Internal Comms
107: Chassis CAN Timeout
108: Temperature High
109: External Comms
110: External Fault
111: Shutdown Timeout
112: Internal Voltage Low
113: DC Timeout
114: Boost Fail
115: Negative Relay Fail
116: AC Relays Welded
117: AC Relays Fail
118: Ground Absent
119: GFI Trip
120: GFI Reset Fail
121: GFI Test Fail
122: AC Voltage Low
123: AC Voltage High
124: Control Failure
125: Sensor Failure

@Rashid510 and @Judaslefourbe can probably shed some more light on this one.

zootie

VIN number is 56PARAEM1JB000448 Redshift MXR. This is the 2nd time the error code appeared. Bike was bought 7/24/18. What do you mean by startup mode? I go through the usual sequence. When its plugged in, the panel says charging & to select "run" at which point it pauses for a moment then reads "stopped at 103"

snydes

Staff member
If you are using a rapid charger, and if your husband has a standard charger for his 17, have you tried it?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Sorry if I'm repeating want to make sure im getting the right info and root causing accurately. You said you had a firmware update and it was charging fine before that update? Then there was a 9V replacement due to this error? After that there was a pack swap? If that's the path, sounds like a possible issue with the DCCP. Code 103 is related to that device.

zootie

Sorry if I'm repeating want to make sure im getting the right info and root causing accurately. You said you had a firmware update and it was charging fine before that update? Then there was a 9V replacement due to this error? After that there was a pack swap? If that's the path, sounds like a possible issue with the DCCP. Code 103 is related to that device.

zootie

Yes, after firmware update it charged ok. But when 2nd 103 error code shown, I bought a 9 volt lithium battery thinking this was the problem. I don't believe there was a pack swap done at the shop. What is the DCCP?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Yes, after firmware update it charged ok. But when 2nd 103 error code shown, I bought a 9 volt lithium battery thinking this was the problem. I don't believe there was a pack swap done at the shop. What is the DCCP?

I misread your original post thinking you had a pack swap. My apologies. There is a specific 9V battery. Ideally we need to see what your firmware is to know the state of the bike. The DCCP aka DC charge port is a component of the vehicle which allows the charging of the battery. Only lives on MXRs and EXRs. SM's have a Charger. There is a pcba in there which could be at fault. There was a FW update to resolve this issue.