2018 Alta fault code 103 second time

snydes

Staff member
Yes, after firmware update it charged ok. But when 2nd 103 error code shown, I bought a 9 volt lithium battery thinking this was the problem. I don't believe there was a pack swap done at the shop. What is the DCCP?

:) Bear with us, you’ve come to the right place to figure this out. I have a hard time keeping up with all the acronyms myself...

Roughly when did you have the firmware update done? We will have to try and confirm you have the very last one they put out. So your battery pack is currently at roughly 30%?

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I suggest plugging the charger into a different electrical outlet, one that is on a different circuit.

Try both chargers on the new outlet. Then try both bikes with both chargers.

My train of thought is to isolate the issue with the bike or with the charger.

I have one outlet in my house that my charger will not work correctly on. I don't know why, but the charger sees something with the circuit that it doesn't like.

zootie

:) Bear with us, you’ve come to the right place to figure this out. I have a hard time keeping up with all the acronyms myself...

Roughly when did you have the firmware update done? We will have to try and confirm you have the very last one they put out. So your battery pack is currently at roughly 30%?
The firmware was done 9/1/18. When I took it back 3 weeks ago for this 103 problem, the dealer said I had the most recent firmware since he could not re-install it. The battery I purchased was the Energizer 9v Ultimate lithium which was featured in the Alta video. He installed it but still same problem. I asked him to test the one he took out of the bike & it tested good. I see you spoke to Duncan & bike is fault-free. What did he do? We will next try a different outlet even though charging had been ok previously. We appreciate the help so far....it wants to go for a ride (me too!!!)

snydes

Staff member
Keep in mind we are taking our best educated guesses here with help of a few former Alta employees. Having said that, the thought is the problem might be in the charge port itself. I’m told the port on your husbands 17 MX is interchangeable, so you could swap that part from his bike to verify if it is indeed the issue. Bad news is it will require a fair amount of disassembly to do, but the owners manual (which is in the resource section of this site) outlines it pretty well.

ElectroBraap

I have a spare on board charger laying around which should be interchangeable with the dccp. Although it would slow down charge times It would remove the need to use the external charger. All you need is an extension cord which would plug directly into the bike.

Assuming it’s the DCCP, that can’t be fixed or replaced by someone else. It’s an alternative to get you going that doesn’t suck too badly haha.

-Electro

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
I have a spare on board charger laying around which should be interchangeable with the dccp. Although it would slow down charge times It would remove the need to use the external charger. All you need is an extension cord which would plug directly into the bike.

Assuming it’s the DCCP, that can’t be fixed or replaced by someone else. It’s an alternative to get you going that doesn’t suck too badly haha.

-Electro

That would require a FW update on the VIN. Also you need to have the necessary HW and thermal pads for the OBC. Along with specific Delta wing for the OBC. Better option is a spare dccp or confirming it is the DCCP

ElectroBraap

That would require a FW update on the VIN. Also you need to have the necessary HW and thermal pads for the OBC. Along with specific Delta wing for the OBC. Better option is a spare dccp or confirming it is the DCCP
Didn’t know it was quite that in depth, definitely agree with you. I’m planning to swap to an obc on a project I’m working on. Ofc it’s not as easy as I thought 😂

zootie

I suggest plugging the charger into a different electrical outlet, one that is on a different circuit.

I have one outlet in my house that my charger will not work correctly on. I don't know why, but the charger sees something with the circuit that it doesn't like.
Gadzooks!!!! We plugged my bike into an outlet in the kitchen & had success!! Of course we didn't dare put the oven on or microwave on...so it was cocktails instead of dinner tonite....joy!

aremean79

I had my fast charger did this at one of the wall sockets of a garage where I store my bikes. My heart skipped a beat but once I plugged into another one... it went back to normal too.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
Gadzooks!!!! We plugged my bike into an outlet in the kitchen & had success!! Of course we didn't dare put the oven on or microwave on...so it was cocktails instead of dinner tonite....joy!

Cocktails FOR dinner tonight

Glad to hear it was as simple as changing outlets the charger was plugged into!

paul34

Jumping in here, glad your problem was simply the receptacle that you were using. I'm struggling with the same issue after having checked all of the 240vdc outlets in my shop. If you were using the kitchen outlet I assume they are all 120vdc?

Anyone know if I need to run this fast charger off a 120vdc outlet only?

leeo45

Geezer in denial
Jumping in here, glad your problem was simply the receptacle that you were using. I'm struggling with the same issue after having checked all of the 240vdc outlets in my shop. If you were using the kitchen outlet I assume they are all 120vdc?

Anyone know if I need to run this fast charger off a 120vdc outlet only?

No, the fast charger is made to run on 240 VAC (not DC). It will also run on 120 VAC with an adapter for the plug; it just takes longer to charge the bike. There have been a few reported instances where the two legs of someone's 240 outlet had a non-negligible voltage difference and that caused the GF to trip, otherwise it should work fine if there is sufficient capacity in the circuits (amperage).

paul34

No, the fast charger is made to run on 240 VAC (not DC). It will also run on 120 VAC with an adapter for the plug; it just takes longer to charge the bike. There have been a few reported instances where the two legs of someone's 240 outlet had a non-negligible voltage difference and that caused the GF to trip, otherwise it should work fine if there is sufficient capacity in the circuits (amperage).

I assume the "R" charger is on fact the fast charger?