Tubeless?

ablock

I just went down to my SM to try and figure out the wheel size and noticed that both tires say "Tubeless".

Are the wheels actually tubeless, or are these TL tires simply run with tubes, which should be fine given the low maximum speed of the bike?

Kurlon

TL tires with tubes. Don't worry about speeds, we're regularly running tubeless tires with tubes at 100mph + at the track, no issues. If you REALLY want a full tubeless system you could get some Alpinia rims laced to your SM's hubs, but make sure to treat your wallet to a nice dinner and movie before subjecting it to that shock. :D

ablock

Yeah, I have Alpinas on my Africa Twin. After lunch at work the other day, my coworker walked in and said my parked bike had a flat rear tire. We went out later and used my tubeless repair kit and DC inflater to repair it. Took about 15m and it hasn't lost any air since.

That's why I want tubeless.

Are there no domestic tubeless options that are cheaper than Alpina?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Tubeless is the way to go for most bikes. Pull that nail out, plug it up, pump up and you are good to go again. Saves at least half an hour and a lot of grunt and sweat on every flat repair.

It helps to have TPMS though, at least on road bikes. It saves a lot of worry, periodic pressure checks, and it will alert you before you start feeling a flat tire through unstable handling.

I have this one on my ST1300:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WBD00FO/?tag=sce0f-20

If I were to run Tubliss on my dirt bikes again, I would install TPMS into both chambers. Just keep an eye on your smartphone, and do not worry about checking four tire pressures.

It would be nice to put a 5th sensor onto the AER48 fork, but there is little room there, and I think the air volume might be too small to screw on a TPMS cap without losing most of the pressure in the process.

ablock

I have the same Fobo sensors on my AT. Good system, especially since I use a Sena headset and can hear the TPMS alarm very well.

What do you mean by "four chambers"?