Top speed Stark Varg

wfopete

The Battery Management System (BMS) may have a role in this too as it is responsible for keeping those batteries zipping along at peak performance by monitoring, communicating and protecting the system. All sorts of BMS variables are involved such as protocols, State of Charge, State of Health, Cut off FET's, algorithms, Thermal Management... This is all above my pay grade.

Kurlon

I really want to do a proper drag race of an FS450, 500XC W (Machines I've already road and supermoto raced) and a Varg Alpha actually geared for 110mph and see how they do over the course of 1/2 of a mile, rolling start from 30mph. My gut says access to a gearbox will make the difference up top. Unfortunately my local road race org currently bans all electrics so I'll have to A) finally get my bike and B) sneak it out for practice to test this theory.

wfopete

Why do they ban E bikes?

If it's not about safety (battery fires, lack of noise) then you probably all ready have your answer as to what is faster.

Kurlon

The local org used to run 'mostly' CCS rules, which classed e-bikes in by batt voltage... aka not enough info to actually estimate a machine's comparative performance. They've since gone to their own ruleset and sanctioning and dropped e-bikes entirely. This all happened before the Varg was an idea in Stark's CEO's head. Not that we ever had any show up, I expect the reason for the block is avoiding classing debates until there are bikes actually running elsewhere to get realworld comparison data from. At the moment in the US that one reference point is the factory Energica in Super Hooligans, I'm not aware of any others? The track size is big enough that an Alta MXR or SMR wouldn't complete a race without going into protection, sounds like the Varg would thermally throttle as well based on the above. The track is JUST small enough that we've got a decent size Motard class though, gear them for 110mph and plan on holding them there for awhile. Our other problem would be charging, no 220v anywhere, the 110v side voltage sags BAD when everyone's got warmers on plus their RV's AC cranking.

CCS / ASRA still uses their voltage based classing, so bikes with 'up to 250 volts' count as 'Lightweight Superbike'. Think Aprilia RS660, the new Kawi ZX4RR, Yamaha R7, the new Suzuki 8, etc. Also, they're forced into Superbike rather than Supersport, so bikes that can have built engines, aftermarket errythang, etc. This is a class where 110hp is not unusual. More than 250v and you're a Middleweight, welcome to the R6's stomping grounds, and 250 GP class bikes are allowed to play. 130hp+ toys here. Under this rule structure, the Varg would be a Middleweight, Loudon being one of the smaller, tighter, technical road courses would be about the only place it might have a fighting chance under those rules, bigger tracks (anywhere else in the US) and not a chance. Again, this system of classing is dumb though, batt pack voltage alone doesn't tell the whole story and here is a good example of it.

wfopete

The local org used to run 'mostly' CCS rules, which classed e-bikes in by batt voltage... aka not enough info to actually estimate a machine's comparative performance. They've since gone to their own ruleset and sanctioning and dropped e-bikes entirely. This all happened before the Varg was an idea in Stark's CEO's head. Not that we ever had any show up, I expect the reason for the block is avoiding classing debates until there are bikes actually running elsewhere to get realworld comparison data from. At the moment in the US that one reference point is the factory Energica in Super Hooligans, I'm not aware of any others? The track size is big enough that an Alta MXR or SMR wouldn't complete a race without going into protection, sounds like the Varg would thermally throttle as well based on the above. The track is JUST small enough that we've got a decent size Motard class though, gear them for 110mph and plan on holding them there for awhile. Our other problem would be charging, no 220v anywhere, the 110v side voltage sags BAD when everyone's got warmers on plus their RV's AC cranking.

CCS / ASRA still uses their voltage based classing, so bikes with 'up to 250 volts' count as 'Lightweight Superbike'. Think Aprilia RS660, the new Kawi ZX4RR, Yamaha R7, the new Suzuki 8, etc. Also, they're forced into Superbike rather than Supersport, so bikes that can have built engines, aftermarket errythang, etc. This is a class where 110hp is not unusual. More than 250v and you're a Middleweight, welcome to the R6's stomping grounds, and 250 GP class bikes are allowed to play. 130hp+ toys here. Under this rule structure, the Varg would be a Middleweight, Loudon being one of the smaller, tighter, technical road courses would be about the only place it might have a fighting chance under those rules, bigger tracks (anywhere else in the US) and not a chance. Again, this system of classing is dumb though, batt pack voltage alone doesn't tell the whole story and here is a good example of it.

Interesting.

I guess until there rework the track's power issues they don't need to worry much about it.

Kurlon

Once someone shows more interest than just poking at the rulebook it'll get dealt with. Most likely a couple rounds as a provisional exception then next season firmed up classing for that machine. We've already got gas cheater bikes (Kramers being allowed in Supersport/Superbike, I'm looking at YOU), an electric is going to get performance indexed in so no real chance of one being a dominator.