SM Range

dsw

Hi,

I'm new to the Forum but have been looking at Alta for a long time. I put a deposit down in 2012 (when it was still BRD motorcycles) and did a demo ride of an SM at the factory a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, I was not in a position to purchase the SM when my reservation came around to exercise. I'm still interested in owning an SM at some point and am considering trying to find an SM to purchase in the near future. Before I do that, I am curious to understand what real-world range folks are seeing from the SM. My short weekend ride is ~45 miles long and that feels potentially tight with the range as advertised.

I saw several threads on off-road range, but did not see one specifically on the SM and/or on-road riding.

Thank you for any info,

Dane

Salamander

It depends so much on your riding style, road conditions, your tire choice etc. Even a short stretch above 60mph will kill it. If it's slower roads, you'll likely make it.... but you will be bored for the first half of your ride, and bored+nervous for the second half. I find myself riding very conservatively as I push towards 40 miles.

I am now aware of many electrical outlets about 20 miles from my house.

It's probably best to ride the machine like it clearly wants to be ridden, exuberantly. Have a ton of fun but plan for rides of 35 miles or less.

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
I had a SM to use for a while. It was blast to ride! On the same 26 mile route, I could blow through the entire charge, or just over half. It all depended on how I rode it.

From what we've seen on this forum, 45 would be the extreme limit. As was said, it would be more like hyper-miling than riding.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
While my one urban riding experience was on an EXR not an SM, with speeds held below 40mph, I did manage to get in excess of 40 miles on a charge. Mostly level, fairly smooth pavement, and keeping pace with an old man on a 125cc scooter.:sleep:

What a boring day that was! Got home the next day and went for a ride at a proper pace, battery flashing in 20 miles. :ricky:

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
45 to 50 miles is the limit. Your averaging about 40 miles per hour. For me I used to get from Brisbane to Campbell within 1hr 45min. Audio Books for the win. I had enough juice to be in map 1 till Palo Alto/Sunnyvale and then Map 4 to Campbell. Only had one time I ran out of juice. Had to push the bike 100 yards.