Reprogram motor regen/engine braking?

flask38

Hello there,

A colleague is installing suspension upgrades for a couple Alta MX customers. He keeps asking me if these Alta’s can have their engine braking or motor regen parameters changed to emulate more or less resistance at certain speeds like an ICE MX engine does. Like more regen/braking at higher MPH then gradually less engine braking at slower speeds.

I have seen references in these forum discussions regarding plugging into a laptop using a USB or serial cable to boot into the Linux operating system on the Redshift bikes. Does anyone know if it’s possible to change the parameters on engine braking or engine regen based on speed?

Thank you so much

Steve

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Hello there,

A colleague is installing suspension upgrades for a couple Alta MX customers. He keeps asking me if these Alta’s can have their engine braking or motor regen parameters changed to emulate more or less resistance at certain speeds like an ICE MX engine does. Like more regen/braking at higher MPH then gradually less engine braking at slower speeds.

I have seen references in these forum discussions regarding plugging into a laptop using a USB or serial cable to boot into the Linux operating system on the Redshift bikes. Does anyone know if it’s possible to change the parameters on engine braking or engine regen based on speed?

Thank you so much

Steve

Multitool is the diagnostic tool which allows you review the vehicle and confirm for any error codes, issues with the battery. It does not have any functionality to communicate directly to the motor controller.

There was a terminal function which allowed you to adjust the rpm bands of the 4 maps and adjust a few settings, but its very terminal oriented and there is alot of risk to potentially brick the inverter/cause a backwards condition. (We used to use this function to time the motor encoder on the production line)

Because of the NTHSA recall which occured due to the rolling forward throttle issue on newer bikes, we ended up "locking" the inverter firmware. There is a FW package which has hill hold, but it has the risk of causing the inverter lockup with the throttle.

HadesOmega

I can vouch for the regen in Map4 it definitely welcomed on the pavement to be able to slow your bike down fast without the brakes but I found out in a supermoto race you gotta be real careful when racing on the dirt portion of the course, if your not careful it'll lock or just nose dive off a jump.

I wish I could have a regen throttle thumb brake with this bike. I used to have one with my Sur Ron Light Bee and you can precisely control any amount of regen whenever you want. But I have to say the regen on the Alta was programed very well, it's the BEST off throttle regen I've used on any electric bike except maybe the Energica where you can adjust the regen independent of the power.