Recharge in silence - 10kwh 4kw split-phase

schwankl

Creating this post to share some experience and see what else others are doing to recharge in silence.

goal: fast charge bikes (3kw) w/out generator noise

v1: 2x tesla 5kwh batteries + 2 victron 3kw 24v inverter/chargers
- did a great job for 3+ years but heavy, complex, expensive and dangerous (battery)
- cost: $2k batteries, $2k for inverter/chargers, $400 pelican inverter, battery ammo cases (2019) : $4400

v2: 8x100ah powerqueen/litime mini (2s4p) + 24v 4kw reliable power split-phase inverter
- easier to transport, safer, cheaper, cleaner wiring
- cost: $1.6k batteries, $421 inverter, $150 for dewalt (2-batteries per) cases (2023) : $2200

v1 has about 50 trips (3yr / 300kwh discharged)
v2 has only been tested (capacity tests for each battery + 3kw/fast charging of an alta)

wiring:
sb350 temco 4/0 from the battery bus to inverters
sb175 temco 1/0 for teslas NMC
sb120 temco 2ga for the powerqueen/litime mini LFP
(also vicron smartshunts and 200amp fuses per inverter v1 and v2)

I plan to use a combo of both next year, but for people starting down this path, I think v2 is an improvement.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
A year ago, I was heavily into a perfect coach battery engineering. I used a Shenzhen-Basen 4s4p setup (12V) with a 4,000W AIM inverter/charger.

It worked well, but I chose a bad location for the battery bank (under the van), which kept damaging battery cells that were closest to the exhaust. One time I rearranged bad battery cells to keep the entire battery functioning, but I screwed up some contact insulation and it all went up in smoke (and some fire too). I lost the batteries, but I still have the inverter.

Earlier, I was planning to convert that all to a 8s2p 24V setup with the same batteries and a better battery monitoring, but now this project is on hold. Also, with me now living in Arizona full-time, I will need to use the A/C more often for van camping. I might not be able to get by without an external generator.

What are you using for a charger in your V.2 setup?

schwankl

What are you using for a charger in your V.2 setup?
Will use a victron 24-3000-70 inverter charger to charge the pack at 70a (1.7kw) also as backup/additional inverter (ie use air frier / electric grill while charging bikes).

Few mo ago got an eco-worthy 24v 3000w inverter charger that charges at 40amp (1kw) ... has not been on any trips yet, but is small, configurable and currently can get one for $304 on ebay 1000W 1500W 2000W 3000W 5KW 10KW Solar Hybrid Inverter Off Grid Mppt Controller | eBay. Solid deal, good intro inverter or backup one.

JGCyber3

I have a Toy hauler with a multiplus II 3k 120vx2, 4k battery bank, 1200w solar, 6k Onan generator - can generate power and run 50amp for 2 ac's, etc...but only hav 15amp 110v outlets on the trailer....have to figure out how to setup to charge at a higher limit to support a stark Varg, EV, etc....