Received my email from Stark “ready for production”

Swank171

Just the other day I saw a post on Facebook in one of my local riding FB groups asking if anyone had completed their Stark order through a local dealership here in WA State. The post was put up by the sales person in the local dealership (actually about an hour away from me) that is supposed to be contacting me about my order.

I'm wondering if this dealership is seeing multiple cancellations on Varg orders and this sales guy was trying to get some feedback on what is going on. At the time no one had responded to his FB post. I tried to get a screenshot of his post just now, but can't find it, thinking it must have been deleted for whatever reason.

I'd be curious to know how many orders are being cancelled and how much cash is being gifted to Stark from those non-refundable deposits.
I’m starting to wonder how “non refundable” it is when they have rugged the original agreement. They were very clear it was direct to consumer in the original agreement we purchased under.

F451

I’m starting to wonder how “non refundable” it is when they have rugged the original agreement. They were very clear it was direct to consumer in the original agreement we purchased under.

Me too. Just for laughs I was going to talk to my brother in law the big shot lawyer at our Thanksgiving get together about whether or not I had any legal options for demanding my $100 back (bait and switch?, breach of contract?, etc).

Silly I know, but I was curious what he would have to say. He specializes in corporate insurance law, but is surprisingly knowledgeable in general law matters, and if he doesn't know, he always knows someone that is an expert in that area of law. He's a handy guy to in the family (as long as you don't cross him, Lol). Unfortunately him and his wife got covid so we all didn't get together, so didn't get his input.

If I find some time, I'm going to look into demanding my deposit back, see if there are any local jurisdictions I can contact, etc. Worst that will come of it is that I burn some time and get no where. At least I can then say I tried instead of rolling over and just taking it.

Chadx

Clearly, they did not do their homework on the direct to consumer sales/shipping option, and they are now putting together this knee jerk reaction process of delivering the bikes through local dealerships, who don't seem to understand Stark customer expectations.
I'd be curious to know how many orders are being cancelled and how much cash is being gifted to Stark from those non-refundable deposits.

For those whose dealerships are charging "doc fees" etc. (mine is not), I'm curious to hear final outcome if you push back and say you won't pay a penny more than the original agreement? What are dealerships doing? Obviously they have no control over, and not wiggle room on, passthrough costs such State tax or registration fees, but I'm talking about dealership fees like dealership portion of doc fees, assembly fees, delivery fees, etc.

Regarding order fulfillment take rate, my dealership said the take rate was very low (way less than 50% are going through with orders). So low, that I'm reluctant to share that exact percentage number as I'm not sure of the sample size, it may vary from dealership and State, and don't want it to become a number everyone quotes). There is no way to determine what, if any, impact the change to a dealership model has on take rate, but it may have some effect. Still, I submit that anyone that intended to go through with their order would do so, even if reluctantly, with the dealership model. They wouldn't let that stop them. Seems like there would have been plenty of cancelations even if the home delivery model remained. Lots of order holders situations have changed since originally ordering; Bought a different ICE or BEV dirtbike, financial situation changed or worried it will change next year, bike specs (increase in weight or real world range tests showing the range won't work for the buyers expected use case) or they simply lost interest.

Chadx

I'm in the same boat, wanting to get refund on $100 deposit for one of my orders, since things changed so much since initial order (timeline, weight, delivery model, etc.). But not the end of the world if it's not a simple process and I knew what I was getting into when I put it down.
I'll likely only be fulfilling one of my orders because it doesn't seem to be enough resale-buyer interest to make it worth the hassle and risk of fronting the money, buying and reselling a Var. Might be buyer's willing to pay $1,000 over my price since current MSRP is $1,000 higher since pre-order price, but definitely not risk and hassle free trying to resell a Varg. For my risk tolerance, I'd have to make $2,000 - $3,000 (so $1,000 to $2,000 more than current MSRP) to be worth the risk/hassle and it doesn't seem like there are buyers lined up waiting to buy like there were over the summer when initial deliveries were happening.

Swank171

For those whose dealerships are charging "doc fees" etc. (mine is not), I'm curious to hear final outcome if you push back and say you won't pay a penny more than the original agreement? What are dealerships doing? Obviously they have no control over, and not wiggle room on, passthrough costs such State tax or registration fees, but I'm talking about dealership fees like dealership portion of doc fees, assembly fees, delivery fees, etc.

Regarding order fulfillment take rate, my dealership said the take rate was very low (way less than 50% are going through with orders). So low, that I'm reluctant to share that exact percentage number as I'm not sure of the sample size, it may vary from dealership and State, and don't want it to become a number everyone quotes). There is no way to determine what, if any, impact the change to a dealership model has on take rate, but it may have some effect. Still, I submit that anyone that intended to go through with their order would do so, even if reluctantly, with the dealership model. They wouldn't let that stop them. Seems like there would have been plenty of cancelations even if the home delivery model remained. Lots of order holders situations have changed since originally ordering; Bought a different ICE or BEV dirtbike, financial situation changed or worried it will change next year, bike specs (increase in weight or real world range tests showing the range won't work for the buyers expected use case) or they simply lost interest.
100% the dealer isn’t getting a penny from me. I’ll bring a friend and load the crate in my truck. These guys are crooks. The fact that they thing it’s worth 400$ to put a bike together that I’m asking them not to…beyond me. “We are not allowed to give you a bike not assembled, so that’ll be 400$” hahah.

I think you hit every one of the reasons. I think financial is a big one. The fear in the market and also the fact a lot of customers were most likely going to finance and rates have gone through the roof.

I'm in the same boat, wanting to get refund on $100 deposit for one of my orders, since things changed so much since initial order (timeline, weight, delivery model, etc.). But not the end of the world if it's not a simple process and I knew what I was getting into when I put it down.
I'll likely only be fulfilling one of my orders because it doesn't seem to be enough resale-buyer interest to make it worth the hassle and risk of fronting the money, buying and reselling a Var. Might be buyer's willing to pay $1,000 over my price since current MSRP is $1,000 higher since pre-order price, but definitely not risk and hassle free trying to resell a Varg. For my risk tolerance, I'd have to make $2,000 - $3,000 (so $1,000 to $2,000 more than current MSRP) to be worth the risk/hassle and it doesn't seem like there are buyers lined up waiting to buy like there were over the summer when initial deliveries were happening.

Down here in southern ca, within 15 miles of fox raceway where a large concentration of orders came from im seeing these bikes sit on dealer floors. I have showed interest in talking to the sales reps and gave them my number just to play cat and mouse so I can get a feel for what the market is doing and they are definitely struggling to move them. Not enough to take the 900$ dealership markup off haha.

Brillie35

Make Alta Great Again
Here in the Netherlands there are also some for sale on a marketplace site for several weeks. 1 asks exactly what a new one would cost now.
Another asks 500 more. The advertisements have only been viewed a few 100 times.
I'm curious to see how the prices will turn out once they have caught up with production.

Swank171

Here in the Netherlands there are also some for sale on a marketplace site for several weeks. 1 asks exactly what a new one would cost now.
Another asks 500 more. The advertisements have only been viewed a few 100 times.
I'm curious to see how the prices will turn out once they have caught up with production.
Ya, I’ve been watching this one drop in price weekly in Washington state.

He started at 15k Firm

I think it’s worth it and a good deal at that….just shows us where the market is going.
IMG_4974.png

Mikec265

Just talked to my dealer. $200 setup. Honestly the best thing Stark could do is give the dealer a bigger piece of the pie for setup, if they are not going to let us have the bikes in the crate. We should not have to pay extra for setup, and the dealer should not have to work for free either. I never agreed to pay setup when it was supposed to ship to my house.

I ordered on day one and have been waiting 2 years. I would have loved to have kept mine in the crate because I have a back injury that may require surgery. I can't ride it for who knows how long anyhow. I can't see selling it, but in the crate would be a nice option for easier shipping if it comes down to it.

sand300

don't feel too bad.
putting it together takes 35mins at first attempt so I'm sure the dealers will get that time right down.

it's good practice for the dealers to get familiar with the bike

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
You would have paid the exact same sales tax online even even if your Varg shipped direct to your door. When you check out on the website, it would have charged you the appropriate State sales tax. Varg being delivered through a dealership has no impact on the State sales tax you will pay.
Ok..