Question about Warranty

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
Gents.

Just signed up. Been thinking about an Alta for awhile now. No I do not own one. I am a serious prospective buyer.

I was reading on Alta's website about their warranty. It states that under the Exclusions, that this warranty does not apply to the following terms & conditions.

"Any 2018 Alta Motors Redshift used in any type of competition, racing or otherwise."

What is up with that? You mean to tell me that peoples here that have raced this machine (and the upcoming 2019 MXR) are not covered under any warranty?

Say it ain't so Joe...

Silent But Dirty

Alta North
Gents.

Just signed up. Been thinking about an Alta for awhile now. No I do not own one. I am a serious prospective buyer.

I was reading on Alta's website about their warranty. It states that under the Exclusions, that this warranty does not apply to the following terms & conditions.

"Any 2018 Alta Motors Redshift used in any type of competition, racing or otherwise."

What is up with that? You mean to tell me that peoples here that have raced this machine (and the upcoming 2019 MXR) are not covered under any warranty?

Say it ain't so Joe...
I'm pretty sure thats just boilerplate kinda language. If you have a legitimate warranty claim, I don't think they will hesitate to make things right.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, this is a C.Y.A. kind of language, probably just so that fewer people are able to sue them. It is sad to read, but nobody has been denied warranty yet, AFAIK.

strider

KTM limits their warranty to 30 days when used in any type of competition. Husqvarna is the same. Honda's race bikes (CRFXXXR models) have no warranty at all. I assume the rest are similar.

That being said, the OEM's lawyers can say whatever they want, if you have a failure due to a workmanship or design defect it doesn't matter how the bike was used, it must be covered. As @Philip said, they put that in there so if you get t-boned in a moto you won't go crying to Alta for new bodywork and anything else that broke.

Whymee

Old and slow, but hopefull!
That is nice to know that Alta is not leaving customers hanging out to dry on the warranty issue.

This spring, on the way to Bike Week in Daytona (a yearly trek), I was calling dealers all along the way to pick up a 18 MXR. None to be found. 3 days after my return home they start to trickle in to dealers. I have a friend in Fl. who has a new Alta dealer & he quoted me a pretty good price on on one & a fast charger. But he was a thousand miles away. My closest local dealer is 3 hours away.

I even told 2 dealers close to me that if you snag a dealership I would buy the first. I even offered one dealer to foot the bill for the Alta dealership. No bites. Barely even nibbled...

I drug my feet on buying one & good thing I did. I had some medical issues that put me out of the saddle all year, I still haven't raced yet this year. Now I have the hankering to pick up a 19. From what I can find, which is nothing, I am trying to find out what the difference is between the 18 &19. Or maybe I ought to wait 'till '20 for the WiFi model (guessing).

Sorry for the long post....

magatta

Forum's Sponsor
That is nice to know that Alta is not leaving customers hanging out to dry on the warranty issue.

This spring, on the way to Bike Week in Daytona (a yearly trek), I was calling dealers all along the way to pick up a 18 MXR. None to be found. 3 days after my return home they start to trickle in to dealers. I have a friend in Fl. who has a new Alta dealer & he quoted me a pretty good price on on one & a fast charger. But he was a thousand miles away. My closest local dealer is 3 hours away.

I even told 2 dealers close to me that if you snag a dealership I would buy the first. I even offered one dealer to foot the bill for the Alta dealership. No bites. Barely even nibbled...

I drug my feet on buying one & good thing I did. I had some medical issues that put me out of the saddle all year, I still haven't raced yet this year. Now I have the hankering to pick up a 19. From what I can find, which is nothing, I am trying to find out what the difference is between the 18 &19. Or maybe I ought to wait 'till '20 for the WiFi model (guessing).

Sorry for the long post....
MXR 2019
8DAB09E6-6131-4E94-AA36-4921FA0F467D.jpegMX 20182E3CDA16-949E-4595-A836-D60A7E4C3AEA.jpeg
From Alta site not sure if accurate.