Please shout up any issues

UKLee

I got an E mail to pay for my stark order, I see loads of videos etc from influencers etc that all looks very nice perfect landing on well groomed mx tracks whoop whoop all the rest of it, clearly the first bikes have only gone to people who will say good things about them.

What about the other side like when you go to turn the bike on and it will not or go to put it on charge and there is an issue? any one had this?

I have big concerns about the battery, Every ICE mx/enduro manufacturer has frame rails to protect the magnesium engine case which you would think is stronger than the magnesium battery case on the stark but yet stark think just a bit of foam and plastic will do the job, case it hard or hit a rock/log off road and how will it stand up to it?
At over £6000 for a new battery it could get very expensive very quickly this is assuming smashing the battery does not cause a dead short and the whole bike goes up in smoke.

Plenty of other concerns like chain adjusters, very thin frame/swing arm pivot area and only the same spline on the front sprocket as a ktm but all this with double? the torque and massive rear wheel speed if panic revved unlike a bike with gears.

Sorry if this sounds negative but I am trying to avoid buying a money pit, If it was Yamaha or honda I would feel better about it, what have stark ever built? A working side stand seems to be a bit of a challenge for them.

Not keen on paying out £11,000 in the hope the bike shows up, be better to ship it to a dealer then I go see it pay for it and take it away.

rk42

I've been riding it for two weeks now, a Dealer lent it to me to test it out thoroughly and show it around our local tracks. Sure, there're some minor things, the powder coating on the frame had a little hiccup, small things like that but nothing major.

Charging? No issues at all. I plug it in after every ride and it's all good.

Protection-wise, I took a solid hit jumping 3 in a wave-section, and everything held up fine. Same logic as helmets – they don't need to be made of steel to do their job.

And yeah, it's the first generation. There might be some quirks. But I'm cool with taking that risk.

The bike has some serious pull but you can tweak that power just right, it's awesome.

By the way, the battery of the included smartphone sucks. But hey, it charges in the docking station anyway.

Warranty? Think it's 2 years, as long as you're not racing. But all the details are on their website.

The bike's a game-changer. I'd take it, minor flaws and all, it's that good.

Hope that helps.

UKLee

Good that they sent out parts to fix it quickly but I assume they have some kind of connection with this Electric cycle rider. Not sure they would do this with your average customer like me, I would think it would need to be done by a stark dealer.
Just imagine if the bike cut out like that just as you were committed to a big tripple but it causes you to come up short and face plant in to the face of a jump.

Bike is paid for now any way, Thanks for posting.

SubSonic

I got a Honda CR250 and a Surron Lt Bee first year they came out -
both were good bikes and zero mechanical problems -
Stark looks Great to me -

Swank171

Besides the perpetual delay for those outstanding orders hahah.

Pumped to get mine but this last delay was unannounced, and slipped into “estimated delivery” with a new 3 month delay yesterday.

The first delay was a year and it was announced and I was cool with it. I understand and want a good product….this three month delay feels different. Starks marketing team has been silent and this delay was unannounced. Like maybe we wouldn’t notice? Hahah.

I’ve only got 100$ on it as of now and have the cash sidelined for the bike…..still think it’s incredible and think stark has outperformed expectations to this point….just have to wonder if they are slipping a little with the pressure.

Ya ya, I know I’ve posted about this in other spots…..but I’d say it qualifies as a problem. Besides the side stand the only other problem would be not having your bike….? Hahahha.

fsfs

<snip>still think it’s incredible and think stark has outperformed expectations to this point….<snip>

To all those bitching about the lateness...

It is a software controlled machine. The software is late. If people are happy with how it performs now just imagine once the software gains features and approaches maturity ;)

Swank171

It is a software controlled machine. The software is late. If people are happy with how it performs now just imagine once the software gains features and approaches maturity ;)
Haha. “Bitching” love the attitude people get when you simply point out facts. Comical.

UKLee

"To all those bitching about the lateness..."
Not very professional from the stark spokesperson !

I have not got a problem with the £100 deposit and waiting near on 3 years but to be asked to pay £11,000 and then being messed about is not going to down well.

fsfs

Haha. “Bitching” love the attitude people get when you simply point out facts. Comical.

I normally don't stoop to the level of personal attacks. But in your case I will make an exception.

First. Your inability to read between the lines and take a hint is astounding. You would be much more at home on VitalMX.

Second, the Varg is a ground up bike including motor, all electronics, all software, all mechanicals excluding kayaba, brembo, etc. The engineers behind the project have been working continuous overtime to design a great bike. After the bike design the engineers are working continuous overtime to ramp up production.

Then you get told that the bike will get considerably better as the algorithms advance (it is already good); hold your horses. Have a little more patience. Yet somehow you fail to recognize this.

We are all working as hard as humanly possible to deliver good bikes while ramping production. Could stark be more transparent -- sure. But there are a bunch of people who are used to instant gratification in this world and have no concept of how much time it takes to make something good and actually produce it.

According to Elon we should all be on Mars by now. Did anyone actually believe him?

Some people make me want to quit the forum. For the moment I won't in the perhaps deluded belief that some people here get some value out of my input.

edit: fix stupid typos

fsfs

"To all those bitching about the lateness..."
Not very professional from the stark spokesperson !

I have not got a problem with the £100 deposit and waiting near on 3 years but to be asked to pay £11,000 and then being messed about is not going to down well.

I am NOT a stark spokesperson. I never posted any delivery date estimates or production ramp up estimates. I am not that stupid. If you have technical questions I am happy to respond to the extent I can.

UKLee

I am NOT a stark spokesperson. I never posted any delivery date estimates or production ramp up estimates. I am not that stupid. If you have technical questions I am happy to respond to the extent I can.
"I am NOT a stark spokesperson." Reading some of your posts that is not how you come across.

"I never posted any delivery date estimates or production ramp up estimates. I am not that stupid. If you have technical questions I am happy to respond to the extent I can." I never said you did.

fsfs

"I am NOT a stark spokesperson." Reading some of your posts that is not how you come across.

"I never posted any delivery date estimates or production ramp up estimates. I am not that stupid. If you have technical questions I am happy to respond to the extent I can." I never said you did.

I clearly stated I am the most senior electronics guy. Go back and check if you like.

As for being the spokesperson, I remember you complaining about the battery not being hot swappable. I told you the reasons for that and said if it bothered you to not buy the Varg. To get something like a freeride instead. IIRC, you already have a freeride or two. So I am a "spokesperson" telling you to not buy the Varg but get a KTM instead?

All I really did is provide technical details and explain the reasons behind the design decisions.

Swank171

I normally don't stoop to the level of personal attacks. But in your case I will make an exception.

First. Your inability to read between the lines and take a hint is astounding. You would be much more at home on VitalMX.

Second, the Varg is a ground up bike including motor, all electronics, all software, all mechanicals excluding kayaba, brembo, etc. The engineers behind the project have been working continuous overtime to design a great bike. After the bike design the engineers are working continuous overtime to ramp up production.

Then you get told that the bike will get considerably better as the algorithms advance (it is already good); hold your horses. Have a little more patience. Yet somehow you fail to recognize this.

We are all working as hard as humanly possible to deliver good bikes while ramping production. Could stark be more transparent -- sure. But there are a bunch of people who are used to instant gratification in this world and have no concept of how much time it takes to make something good and actually produce it.

According to Elon we should all be on Mars by now. Did anyone actually believe him?

Some people make me want to quit the forum. For the moment I won't in the perhaps deluded belief that some people here get some value out of my input.

This guy. Hahah. You are a clown. I love how people will use ant opportunity to try to make themself sound smart.

This is a dynamic situation. Read between the lines of my posts. I’m pointing out a concern for the company, red flags that have marked trouble for companies in the past.

You wanna say people are bitching and then make some stupid note about software like you are smarter than everyone so somehow you see something others don’t….cmon man. These things being brought to attention are legitimate concerns that the company may be struggling and more than just a delay.

If being met with real discussions makes you wanna quit a forum maybe the community doesn’t need you.

Or you should start your own that just says “tech takes time, let’s never discuss delays and just know things happen when they happen….as long as you agree with me I agree with you…”

Haha. Just so you know, nothing you say makes me wanna quit anything….

Ethos

Agree on all of these points.
I feel the vast majority here recognize the leaps in technological advancement on this bike. Thank you by the way.

It is unfortunate that the recent lack of transparency and communication is marring this accomplishment.

This isn't just about patience. Personally its also about planning, financial commitments, and trust.

fsfs

Agree on all of these points.
I feel the vast majority here recognize the leaps in technological advancement on this bike. Thank you by the way.

It is unfortunate that the recent lack of transparency and communication is marring this accomplishment.

This isn't just about patience. Personally its also about planning, financial commitments, and trust.

Thanks. Like I said, I agree on the transparency, but I am engineering and have no influence on that. Ramp up is proceeding. If I posted the numbers I would get chewed out so I won't. What I can say is that I am not disappointed with how things are going. That is as much as I can say. I hope it helps.

Swank171

Seems like we have seen 2 inverter failures now. Not sure if there was more but publicly on YouTube we have seen 2.

Electric cycle rider as we all know had it happen and now another one went down after a few rides that was one of the dealer demos. That’s 2 in about a month that we know of. Wonder if there is something being changed to prevent that from being a problem. Maybe that has something to do with the latest delay? Timing was pretty close on that second failure and the new delay. Would make sense that they wanna get out in front of this. Even if it’s only 2 of a few hundred by starks standards it seems that’s 2 too many.

Disclaimer: Before someone jumps on and flames me about bringing this up…..I understand it’s a new product and there will be problems with the bike and with production….this is a forum where these types of things are discussed. I am simply pointing out something that happened, not “attacking or bitching” at or about stark….like I’ve said in the past, I want to see this company succeed.

rayivers

Fwiw, I very much value your input, fsfs! I assumed Stark was working OT on the software, but it's great to hear it from a knowledgeable source.

fsfs

Fwiw, I very much value your input, fsfs! I assumed Stark was working OT on the software, but it's great to hear it from a knowledgeable source.

Thank you. FYI, production is proceeding; there is no production stop. In the case of Marley I doubt that is an inverter issue. ECR was an inverter issue (looks to be IOC circuit but can't be sure until we inspect it).

With Marley it looks like the bike is simply failing to turn back on after being turned off. It could be a number of things but I doubt it is the inverter. If the bike is turning back on but doesn't respond to throttle (can't see the LED in the video) then 95% sure it is a thermal sensor. I kinda doubt this is the case because if the bike turned back on then the phone would connect.

With time we will know the exact cause.