New Alta article, any corrections?

Hi, My name is Ron, and I recently wrote an article about Alta motorcycles. Although I have been writing for several years on electricbike.com (bicycles), I have had my motorcycle license since 1976 (yes, I am that old). If anyone is interested, maybe take a look at the article and tell me if I have made any mistakes, or possibly left out something important. I will take all suggestions under consideration.

Alta Motors? Heres what I found | ElectricMotorcycle.com | The Electric Revolution Starts Here

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
“BRD”. It was started by four friends that were all motocross enthusiasts. They are…Marc Fenigstein, Derek Dorresteyn, Jeff Sand, and David Drennan.
I think there were only 3 co-founders, with Marc Fenigstein being the last.

Thanks. This is why I came here. There was conflicting information on the web between a dozen stories about the start. I didn't find much on David Drennan, even though one article seem credible and listed these four. Would David be pissed if I cut him out?

I almost got the impression that Derek was the driving force behind building a prototype, and starting the company. But...Marc's biographies, articles, and interviews seemed to indicate he was "first" somehow?

I don't care who I piss off, we have no advertising, so...I'd rather be known as someone who found out the accurate story and printed that. Diplomatically, of course, but...if it was three guys in the beginning, I want to write that.

snydes

Staff member
Nice article. The only thing that caught my attention was I do not believe the production bikes have radiators tucked up in there. If I recall there are coolant tubes integrated into the frame that serve to transfer the heat. I might be wrong on that, I’m sure others will chime in.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Alta uses a 2-stage geared RPM-reduction between the motor and the output sprocket (which then drives the exposed chain).
It is worth confirming, but I think the current gear reduction is single stage with the ratio of ~3.5:1.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Nice article. The only thing that caught my attention was I do not believe the production bikes have radiators tucked up in there. If I recall there are coolant tubes integrated into the frame that serve to transfer the heat. I might be wrong on that, I’m sure others will chime in.
Yes, the aluminum frame is the heat sink and the radiator.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The founders said that the MX is equivalent in performance to a 250cc 4-stroke dirt bike. They also said numerous times that the intent was to create a better dirt bike, something that could compete with gas bikes and win. I have never heard them having plans to create a 2-wheeled urban transportation to be used around the world.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Most motocrossers rest the center of their bike on a crate, and the Alta’s frame-shape and it’s balance allows for you to do that too. However, it also comes with a small and light side-stand.
I would delete this tid-bit. All dirt bikes are sold with triangular stands included.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The low noise and lack of emissions also means that indoor tracks are much more tolerable in the off season when the weather is bad.
I love this idea! Someone should start building electric-only supercross tracks that can be covered with a cheap inflatable dome when it rains or snows!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The winter and cold weather operation is power-limited. Batteries do not like both cold and heat. The Redshift shows a warning light it you are trying to ride it on a near-freezing day. The warning goes away after the battery warms up.

metallic88

I love this idea! Someone should start building electric-only supercross tracks that can be covered with a cheap inflatable dome when it rains or snows!
I know this is an alta forum but ktm has been doing similar for awhile with their bikes

metallic88

I know KTM promotes their Freeride, but I watched this video twice and did not see super cross or inflatable domes.
thats why i said similar, I couldn't find the old video i was looking for where they raced their sx models. but they definatly arent in inflatable domes, or probably not as big of supercross as your thinking. i would think indoor fmx would be the first thing electric would take over.

snydes

Staff member
thats why i said similar, I couldn't find the old video i was looking for where they raced their sx models. but they definatly arent in inflatable domes, or probably not as big of supercross as your thinking. i would think indoor fmx would be the first thing electric would take over.

Me too. Should be a total win for arenacross racing.