My new SM

Butch

Poseur
which I got from Eric, Alta05. Two sets of wheels, dirt and tard. Yeah, no big front brake cause that would make the swap a hassle.

Question, how do i maximize my range? I live at the bottom of Mt Hamilton, 20 miles, 4000 verticle, 400 turns. Big fun. I rode 17 miles up the hill bafore turning arounge for range anixety. It actual went into blinky mode at about 37 miles.

So, ride uphill in mode 1 or 2, then down in 4 to get max regen?

What say you wise folks?

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
Easiest way to max range is to keep it under 35-45 mph. My daily commute between SSF and San Rafael is about 26ish miles and I have about 25% SOC left. Thats going between map 1(on the longish stretches) and 3 (3 in SF).

For Mt. Ham id go up in 2 (for a bit more fun) and come back down in 4 for regen.

Butch

Poseur
Thanks. I actually pinned it in map 1. That was a first. First time riding in map1 too. Sooooo... map 2 up, map 4 down. We’ll see if I can do the full 41 miles and 4200 vertical feet.

wwmotors

which I got from Eric, Alta05. Two sets of wheels, dirt and tard. Yeah, no big front brake cause that would make the swap a hassle.

Question, how do i maximize my range? I live at the bottom of Mt Hamilton, 20 miles, 4000 verticle, 400 turns. Big fun. I rode 17 miles up the hill bafore turning arounge for range anixety. It actual went into blinky mode at about 37 miles.

So, ride uphill in mode 1 or 2, then down in 4 to get max regen?

What say you wise folks?
If You want to try the 320mm front brake: I did it with an adapter on the small caliper! It is only 5 minutes more work to change to 320mm disk! It is more than OK for SM fun, if You do not use slicks or You go on the SM track on timeattack! I use it in a indoor carting track. Never had overheating issues! Have fun!

IMG_5970.JPG

enjoythesilenc

Ride slowly enough that you never have to use your brakes. Would a rally bike fairing help or hurt aerodynamics and has anyone ever tried one on an Alta?

Silenthorse

If You want to try the 320mm front brake: I did it with an adapter on the small caliper! It is only 5 minutes more work to change to 320mm disk! It is more than OK for SM fun, if You do not use slicks or You go on the SM track on timeattack! I use it in a indoor carting track. Never had overheating issues! Have fun!

View attachment 6870
Hi wwmotors,
What brand of tires are you rocking in that picture? Is it the Heidenau K73 Supermoto? The continental tkc 80's stand up to roost pretty well but lack traction compared to dirt tires, especially when it's wet out!

wwmotors

Hi wwmotors,
What brand of tires are you rocking in that picture? Is it the Heidenau K73 Supermoto? The continental tkc 80's stand up to roost pretty well but lack traction compared to dirt tires, especially when it's wet out!
Yes You are right, it is the Heidenau tyre. BUT, it is only good for our carting hall surface, where we ride during the winter season. The tyre is not working at higher temperatures in summer, outdoor tracks or in the rain! But in the carting hall, we can lean in to the corner, that the handlebar nearly is touching the asphalt! Here a picture from my CRF450 with the Heidenau tyres! Crazy!

MarktlDez2015.JPG

Silenthorse

Yes You are right, it is the Heidenau tyre. BUT, it is only good for our carting hall surface, where we ride during the winter season. The tyre is not working at higher temperatures in summer, outdoor tracks or in the rain! But in the carting hall, we can lean in to the corner, that the handlebar nearly is touching the asphalt! Here a picture from my CRF450 with the Heidenau tyres! Crazy!

View attachment 6879
Insane lean! Thanks for the info! I'd love to try my SM on a cart track but haven't made it yet. You are an incredible inspiration. It's great to be able to get the inside before spending a bunch on tires that are not what I want. Thanks again!

VINSANITY

View attachment 6870
Where did you get that front brake adapter, that’s pretty interesting

Butch

Poseur
I rode SM025 up Hamilton again yesterday. I tried to keeo the speed under 45 on the few straights, but whenever I looked at the speeding railing the twisties i was going forty ish. Forty is sorta the brink pace on Hamilton.

I went up in map 2, and though I usually ridie standing up, tried to sit on the straigter sections. Habits, man.
I rode down in map 4, but rarely have the throttle shut off to experiende engine breaking. A lot of neutral throttle position.

I got home and it went into blinky mode as i got in the driveway. A fifth of the SOC incicated. 34.2 miles. I did not quite go to the top of Ham, and i took a shortcut thru some fields coming home.

Big fun though.

VINSANITY

Would you have a part number on it or could you take a close up picture when time permits.

Thank you

Top Bottom