MXR display buttons?

Pavetim

The 3 buttons on the display i know the far right is for checking hours but what are the other 2 for? And what is the button between the up and down areas for the maps.

Speedkills

Not like any form of traction control I have ever felt. Traction control to me means pulling power in relation to wheel spin, not just having a map with less power. It's true, maps with less power make it less likely you will have wheelspin, and easier to control when you do, but I have never felt either my SM or EXR exhibit any form of traction control.

Pavetim

Yeah cause when i broke traction in a turn if it was my kx450f i would have went down. I am so impressed even with suspension needing tuning it tracked so well.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Fun fact, 2015+ kx450f's have a form of electronic traction control. The ECU recognizes when the motor spins up too quickly and retards timing to compensate.
Most 4-strokes have had this form of traction control for a long-long time. They didn't advertise it though because it was against the AMA rules.

I used to work in ALMS back in ~2005. They just started allowing traction control there, and all of a sudden many cars started making weird noises coming out of turns. Then in 2013 I started racing MX again, and I heard the same sounds coming from all the fast guys' 450s. The engine sounds like it is hitting the rev limiter and is choking. A deep burly sound with some coughs and sneezes. That's the traction control working.

Speedkills

You don't notice the TC because it works well and it doesn't have to cut spark like an ICE. Believe me, it's there.

The extra buttons are indeed for future features. We're working on it.

I don't notice the TC because when the back end breaks loose on my SM it spins up scary fast, and because unlike on an ICE bike when the rear wheel spins up between whoops and bumps, it's way faster than I would like. Don't the pro riders on Altas see 70mph wheel spin when doing 35mph in the whoops? Because the traction control works so well? Was the heavier flywheel on the Erzberg bike because the traction control works so well? And the new custom maps for Erzberg were because it works so well?

I have bought two Altas, but I'm not buying the traction works so well I don't notice it. I should have chosen my words more carefully, I notice the lack of reducing power when during wheelspin, instead of keeping the wheel close to the bikes speed, it spins crazily fast. Max acceleration comes at what, 15% wheelspin? Who is helped by the wheels spinning twice the speed I am going? This is not my definition of working well.

datadog

I'll clarify. When TC is working, it works well, i.e. map 1. I don't think it's intervening in the circumstances you describe.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You wouldn't be able to do burnouts on the SM, or prevent endoing on a jump on the MX, if the wheelspin was limited to just 15% over the bike's speed.

I do like the traction in Map 1 when climbing the uphills.

We do want more maps though. You can't holeshot in Map 1, or climb steep and fast uphills.

Speedkills

If I came across as recommending wheelspin was limited to 15% then I communicated poorly. I did not mean to advocate anything of the sort. I do agree though, when my altas are limited to half of their available horsepower, they do have fewer traction issues, but traction control really should have nothing to do with limiting max power available, it should have to do with limiting rate of wheel acceleration when traction is lost.

We agree on much but when you say you couldn't prevent an endo then I think you are limiting your thinking of what software can do way too much. It's trivial to see when a bike is in the air using accelerometer data from the bike and in that situation not limit wheel acceleration, as when I twist the throttle when I am already in the air I am not experiencing a traction issue, I am clearly trying to adjust the attitude of the bike.

For an example of how easy it is to determine when you are in the air using an accelerometer just check the app store for any of the apps that can measure how much airtime you got, or look at the cameras that will tell you how long you were in the air on a jump.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
For an example of how easy it is to determine when you are in the air using an accelerometer just check the app store for any of the apps that can measure how much airtime you got, or look at the cameras that will tell you how long you were in the air on a jump.
The app store is 10-15 years ahead of where Alta is right now. Alta needs to invent the iPhone first and then the app store. Then maybe someone (probably not Alta) will write a traction control software that works everywhere. Else, it would probably take 10 years to write a traction control software that works and does not disappoint most people.

Alta does have an accelerometer already. And maybe it is even being used to tell when the bike is in the air. But writing a new firmware will take a long time, considering we only have one button on the dash currently working, and there is still no firmware version displayed, no trip meter, no large font map number displayed, etc. We are now somewhere back in 2005, just switched our Startac for a Blackberry.

autohog

If I came across as recommending wheelspin was limited to 15% then I communicated poorly. I did not mean to advocate anything of the sort. I do agree though, when my altas are limited to half of their available horsepower, they do have fewer traction issues, but traction control really should have nothing to do with limiting max power available, it should have to do with limiting rate of wheel acceleration when traction is lost.

We agree on much but when you say you couldn't prevent an endo then I think you are limiting your thinking of what software can do way too much. It's trivial to see when a bike is in the air using accelerometer data from the bike and in that situation not limit wheel acceleration, as when I twist the throttle when I am already in the air I am not experiencing a traction issue, I am clearly trying to adjust the attitude of the bike.

Interesting