MX14 80/120-19

Foss

Hey guys,

Has anyone ran the MX14 on the OEM wheel yet? How’s the clearance… do I need a different sprocket and/or chain?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I have one of these, waiting to be installed when there is a need for it.

On the Alta, the tire-fender clearance has been an issue with most rear tires. I run my rear wheel closer to the back end of the swing arm slot. Let me know how it works on the Varg!

Foss

I have one of these, waiting to be installed when there is a need for it.

On the Alta, the tire-fender clearance has been an issue with most rear tires. I run my rear wheel closer to the back end of the swing arm slot. Let me know how it works on the Varg!
Surprisingly I am able to maintain the original chain and sprocket’s with the OEM wheel. A MX14 and MX34 120/80-19 will fit where it just touches the mud flap. I believe the OEM chain is a 520 114T. It may be best to add one more link to the chain if you want more play. But where I have it set it seems good enough in time if it stretched out.

80HP with this tire is dirty… watch out lollll

IMG_5551.jpeg

rayivers

it seems good enough in time if it stretched out.

When I get my Stark, the first thing I'll be checking is the actual chain slack from zero to full travel, thru the entire wheel rotation, as delivered. The second thing will be posting the results here. :) I trusted my Alta manual's slack specs to be 100% correct, but when the OEM Regina chain wore quickly & snapped and the LH wheel bearing was roached-all-wobbly, I doubted / checked / kicked myself & added 10mm slack. I'm still amazed at how much sprocket eccentricity dirt-bike wheels have; I've never seen less than 1mm, and a max of over 3mm. Try moving the rear axle back 3mm and see if you notice any change in slack. :D