MX Tech

WoodsWeapon

Dropped my EXR off with them yesterday for a week to let them have their way with it, and make it rideable. It was dangerously soft in stock form, and Im certain itll be safe and well setup upon its return.
Jeremy is a hydraulics engineer, and my conversations with him over the years quickly goes beyond my comprehension. He started talking about removing the shock and mapping the swingarms range of motion, and determining torque loads on the chain, and other stuff I think I understand. He then started talking about checking front/rear weight bias, and using what I believe he called an accelerometer, to map engine braking/regen to help determine final setup.
We know he will be installing his Lucky cartridges with Huck Valve in the forks. The shock, until he gets inside is undetermined. He said in talking to other tuners the EXR shock is the same internally as whats on a Sherco. Im not sure if thats good or bad, but I am sure it wont be that way when hes done.
The EXR and MXR have different length shocks for some reason, maybe to get a foot down easier when on road? I asked him to get my full range of travel back like the MX if at all possible.
Im not a suspension tuner, but Ive been inside enough to understand how it works. He in my opinion is a true suspension tuner, in that a simple shim shuffling is not in his scope of work. Looking forward to testing the final product.

Fod

Dropped my EXR off with them yesterday for a week to let them have their way with it, and make it rideable. It was dangerously soft in stock form, and Im certain itll be safe and well setup upon its return.
Jeremy is a hydraulics engineer, and my conversations with him over the years quickly goes beyond my comprehension. He started talking about removing the shock and mapping the swingarms range of motion, and determining torque loads on the chain, and other stuff I think I understand. He then started talking about checking front/rear weight bias, and using what I believe he called an accelerometer, to map engine braking/regen to help determine final setup.
We know he will be installing his Lucky cartridges with Huck Valve in the forks. The shock, until he gets inside is undetermined. He said in talking to other tuners the EXR shock is the same internally as whats on a Sherco. Im not sure if thats good or bad, but I am sure it wont be that way when hes done.
The EXR and MXR have different length shocks for some reason, maybe to get a foot down easier when on road? I asked him to get my full range of travel back like the MX if at all possible.
Im not a suspension tuner, but Ive been inside enough to understand how it works. He in my opinion is a true suspension tuner, in that a simple shim shuffling is not in his scope of work. Looking forward to testing the final product.

I agree 100%...Jeremy is a true pioneer on the latest suspension designs! Would love to hear more as he dissects the bike!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My first MX-Tech suspension was for my new 2000 YZ250. Back then Jeremy recently became famous by impressing the Motocross Action magazine testing crew with his YZ250 suspension. So I had to try it too.

It was great, a better cornering, stability, and an awesome bottoming resistance. One of the clickers must have been off though because it wanted to jump nose up. But back then I didn't know what to turn to fix that. Must have been just a click or two on the stock's low-speed compression. Now I know.

I wonder if the EXR/MXR have the same rear linkages. Most likely they are. If they are, then most of the parameters that he obtains on the EXR can be applied straight to the MXR.

WoodsWeapon

Picking bike up tomorrow with his National shock on it for now. Ill ride it for awhile and give him my feedback, along with his from the last week, and others that will ride it. He’ll then determine how to setup the oem shock.
Although I have a feeling I’m gonna end up buying a shock thats way better than my riding ability will ever need.

WoodsWeapon

Well picked up bike and it has the shock, and also his personal AERs with coated tubes, stanchions, spring comversion, and whatever else he does, temporarily. Cant wait to test it, but eventually Im gonna have to give it back, and no matter where we end up, its gonna be a downgrade from whats on it now.
I went into this wanting a simple revalve, and currently its sitting on 5k worth of suspension.

WoodsWeapon

30 minute ride report:
Ive owned and had many bikes with revalves, and even a few of MXTs setups over the years. Nothing Ive ever ridden is like this though. The bike never moves, the front and rear just rolls over whatever is in front of it, yet never disrupts the bike itself. It just tracks smooth without the feeling of having to grip harder with my hands or knees at anytime. Its almost unsafe in that it works so well, it gives the illusion of being able to push harder than I normally would, and still be comfortable and in control. But I suppose thats what its supposed to do.
MX track this weekend for some real testing.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You are doomed. Start coming up with a list of safety excuses.

We are awaiting for your MX track report. What is your skill level at MX?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is Jeremy is using his proven and multi-adjustable components to get the bike to perform well. He can then replicate the performance using cheaper stock parts.

snydes

Staff member
I’d love to get together with some of you guys down the road at some point to exchange notes on these things. I probably wouldn’t have much to exchange though....:confused: