Lyndon Poskitt's dual Honda generators

WoodsWeapon

Id like to have details on those Honda generators hes using. I know everything in Eu is 230V, but the model hes using would be interesting.

rtf

I didn’t want to ask either, but when I saw those I starting looking for them too. Looks like he has a parallel setup for them as well.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
1527563632613.png

They are light, compact and quiet, but underpowered for the Rapid charger. They generate only 10A instead of 16A.

@rtf, are you implying those thin black wires somehow double the amperage? Can you even connect two AC sources together? Google says: You can't connect two AC sources in parallel unless they have the same voltage, frequency and phase.

Apparently it is possible:
https://www.campingworld.com/parall...eKcQ6fc9I47vl0I6qigDU12qMr0dv3r4aAtQgEALw_wcB
http://www.camperpartsworld.com/HONDA-EU2000i-RV-Parallel-Cable-Kit.html

WoodsWeapon

Yaeh but the thing is being Euro models they run at 230 volts. I looked into importing awhile ago, but getting a euro spec gen here seemed impossible. And even if I could it would be useful for an Alta only, nothing else.

WoodsWeapon

Since Im electrical knowledge challenged, those Generacs are the only ones ive seen that connect the 2 together and have a 220v outlet at the end. Would such a setup have enough watts/amps? Is it even 220V, or just an RV plug putting out 110?

rtf

It's not 220v, it's essentially a 30amp 120v plug as I understand it. I'd just really like a 240v inverter, dealing with a full size generator just isn't practical.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
You just need to add one of those 5kVA step-up transformers that @rayivers was talking about, and you are all set. Only 4 boxes to carry in/out of the truck/van. Or buy one 240V generator and roll it out.

rtf

If you have a truck or van, rolling a 240v generator out is no big deal. But for those of us with out one, it's not so easy. This is my setup, it's a hitch mount on our SUV. I'm a young in shape guy and I'm not able to load a 150lb generator very easy by myself.

20170301_170132.jpg

20170412_135645.jpg

snydes

Staff member
You just need to add one of those 5kVA step-up transformers that @rayivers was talking about, and you are all set. Only 4 boxes to carry in/out of the truck/van. Or buy one 240V generator and roll it out.

When I looked into it the size generator you would need to handle the step up transformer would typically be 240v anyhow, at least that’s what I came up with. There is no free lunch here unfortunately.

rayivers

They are light, compact and quiet, but underpowered for the Rapid charger. They generate only 10A instead of 16A.

These two Honda EU22i generators in parallel should put out 20A at 220V, about 4A more than the quick charger draws. One cool thing about inverter output is that the AC waveforms can be easily synched if the generators are identical.

Kurlon

People have tested and you don't actually need identical units to pair them up, or go three way, four way, etc. Search on youtube, there are a few people showing all sorts of crazy inverter gen combos out there.