Loading and Unloading your 150lbs Generator

aremean79

I have been shopping for a generator and I am thinking that I am gonna have a problem loading and unloading it into my truck.
I found that there are some truck bed mini-crane setup that I can most probably buy from Amazon but this will take up too much space.

How do you guys set up your trucks/vans for loading and unloading of these heavy generators?
Please share pictures of your setup if possible! :)

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Loading/unloading at home, bucket forks on my front end loader.

At my destination.... Hope for several strong friends to arrive, or just leave it in the bed of the truck.

Sorry, no pictures of my solution currently exist in my possession, may update if that condition changes.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I utilize my HF bike lift to install in back of LJ but have since permanently mounted my 8500w monstrosity on my trailer

F451

One of these might work depending on your tailgate height. Still need to lift it onto the table, however. 1000 lbs. Capacity Hydraulic Table Cart

I have the 500 lb capacity (I think) version of that table and love it, especially as I'm getting closer to 60 yrs old now. I have to keep reminding myself to use it instead of risking ending up on the ground writhing in pain from my bad disc in my back, Lol.

I'm planning on using mine to load my 130 lb + gas weight generator into the bed of my truck. Once at the riding areas I'm planning on sliding the generator down my loading ramp onto the ground. Then I can wheel it around.

Getting it back into the bed of the truck, I'm planning on enlisting help to either lift it straight in, or sliding it up the ramp. Not sure what would be easier.

And yes, if no one is around to help, I'll likely leave it in the bed of the truck and charge up from there.

privateer703

AOF Addict
If it slides up your ramp you can always use tie-down straps as a poor mans winch. It will take forever, but will save your back. Or you could get a harbor freight cable puller for $30 to do it.

F451

Yes, I've been meaning to buy a come along for about 40 years now and was thinking it might be time to actually buy for this very purpose.

And here's a pic of my lift table in action. We were prepping for a move, bringing stuff to recycling. Was home alone, my back was fubar'd that day, so things got silly, but it worked! And I did not end up on the ground out of action.

Wheeled the fridge to the truck, tilted it against the tail gate, did not have the back strength to lift it into the bed. Used the red dirt bike lift to get the fridge off the ground high enough to get the yellow lift table under it. Lifted it level more or less with the yellow table to slide it into the bed of the truck.

FridgeLoadBadBack-M.jpg

As a young man I would have laughed if if someone told me to load a fridge like that. I'm not laughing anymore, Lol. Oh wait, yes I am, Lol.

aremean79

Yes, I've been meaning to buy a come along for about 40 years now and was thinking it might be time to actually buy for this very purpose.

And here's a pic of my lift table in action. We were prepping for a move, bringing stuff to recycling. Was home alone, my back was fubar'd that day, so things got silly, but it worked! And I did not end up on the ground out of action.

Wheeled the fridge to the truck, tilted it against the tail gate, did not have the back strength to lift it into the bed. Used the red dirt bike lift to get the fridge off the ground high enough to get the yellow lift table under it. Lifted it level more or less with the yellow table to slide it into the bed of the truck.

View attachment 2921

As a young man I would have laughed if if someone told me to load a fridge like that. I'm not laughing anymore, Lol. Oh wait, yes I am, Lol.

Nice! I do have the same kinda scissors stand and I never thought of using it!

Anyway, why havent anyone chose the option of the mini crane that attaches to the truck?

Sumik

That's the difference having the standard charger and the "fast" one. For the standard charger you just need a 50 lbs invertor which you easily load and unload with one hand. The weight of the next size is 100+ lbs :confused:

aremean79

That's the difference having the standard charger and the "fast" one. For the standard charger you just need a 50 lbs invertor which you easily load and unload with one hand. The weight of the next size is 100+ lbs :confused:

Ok, anyone has a standard charger for sale cheap? 😂😂

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
This is incorrect. The different is between the slow charging from 110V and the fast charging from 240V. You can run either the standard or the fast charger from 110V or 240V. However, charging from 110V at the track is so slow that it doesn't make any noticeable difference whether you are charging between the motos or not. In order to be able to ride all day you have to have 240V and a larger ~4000W generator.

But you are in Czech Republic... so I am confused. You don't have 50 lbs inverter generators there that can power the standard charger at 220V, do you? It would have to be rated at almost 3,000W.

F451

Nice! I do have the same kinda scissors stand and I never thought of using it!

Anyway, why havent anyone chose the option of the mini crane that attaches to the truck?

I'm not familiar with using a mini crane on a pick up, don't see them around too much, but it looks like an excellent solution. For me, since I don't anticipate loading and unloading my generator too much, I think I'll see if I can get by without it, I'm already bursting at the seems in my tiny garage, Lol.