Is there any reason I can run 10-40w oil in the varg?

Jocke_D

I'm not that into oil chemistry that I can give you the full chemical/technical reason why not to do it. But to use oil that differs that much from the manufacturers spec sounds like a really bad idea. 10-40 is made for a different application.

MadpdXabbott

10-40 Motor Oil is not the answer, for sure. But looking for something thinner may not be all bad.

I'm going to run 75-80 in my Varg after my first 5 hours.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Use the proper oil for the specific application. You are comparing apple oil to orange oil here.

The SAE viscosity ratings for engine oil and gear oil are not listed using the same standard. They are designed for different heat ranges, and engine oil needs to function when mixed with gasoline and detergents while withstanding the higher temps in an engine.

To quote the Bel Rey website:

“The most common mistake is the belief that the viscosity of SAE 80W gear oil is much thicker than the viscosity of SAE 10W-40 motor oil. This is absolutely incorrect! A 10W-40 motor oil’s viscosity is actually similar to the viscosity of 80W gear oil, and the viscosity of SAE 10W-30 is similar to 75W gear oil.”

mike61

I bought a very expensive bike.
After 5 hours I changed 80ml transmission oil. The price - some Cents!
Some hours of using the same, 20 maybe, I have to check.
Why should I take any other oil?

Kurlon

I've still got some Silkolene 0w-20 from back when I spent WAY too much racing pitbikes... 20yrs old, but it's in a plastic container so should still be fine, right? :p

mbw479

Reason for the question was that I was talking to an agricultural mechanic and he told me about a recent recall on a popular slashers gearbox. It took the same 75-90w oil the varg used, but it was causing the slasher to stall out as it is too heavy until it warms up. After the recall they went to a 10-40w oil….

That said I won’t go against the recommended oil, I do know of plenty of examples where people have gone against manufacturers spec in motorcycles with success.

Top Bottom