Is the Redshift MX suspension worth re-valving?

Josh402

Despite being a beginner MX rider at 165lbs, I’m finding even the suspension for me is underwhelming. If I case a table top jump hard enough, it will launch me off the pegs if I’m not squeezing my knees hard enough. I let a better rider take it for a few laps, he love it, but of course not the suspension.

Would switching to the MXR suspension cost so much I might as well buy that bike?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
What I think you are describing is the soft MX suspension that bottoms out on the faces of the jump. I have experienced that myself.

You probably need stiffer springs but you definitely need more damping.

Check out my MX suspension upgrade thread. You may want to do the same. If you can find only 2% stiffer springs instead or 4% stiffer springs you may like it better at your current skill level.

https://altaownersforum.com/threads/re-springing-a-2017-alta-redshift-mx-and-then-revalting-too.8

Josh402

I have no clue how to work on forks & shocks so my best bet would be to call around for shops that specialize in it. Is it better if I try a local KTM dealer first? I live in NC just south of Hampton Roads VA area.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Dealers are usually clueless about revalves. Your best bet is to find a local RaceTech shop, especially since the Alta specs call for RaceTech fork adjusters.

Josh402

Ugh closest shop is a couple hundred miles away. Would they need the entire bike or does it work alright for them just having the forks and rear shock?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
That's a bummer. You can ship, the suspension shops receive and ship things all the time. Or you could look for a local guy who works on KTMs. You should ask your dealer, perhaps they know someone.

MattB

It’s not only worth it.... it’s a must if you are truly riding MX. The MXR suspension is unacceptable in its stock form as well.

Matt

Fod

Geez, if it's soft for everyone, even a slow rider like me weighing 170lbs fully geared, shouldn't Alta have addressed this a long time ago?
Yes....its pretty ridiculous!
I would start with your shocks rebound closed up and LSC closed up and HSC at 1-3/4 turns out to get you enjoying the track in the mean time!!!

Fod

I wouldnt unless the bike feels unbalanced. I feel its issue is its severely under-damped.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The MX is actually damped very appropriately for the springs. However, the springs are inappropriately soft. So soft that you cannot even hop from anything or jump the whoops. It just soaks them in, if the travel allows, or bottoms out on them, if they are larger than the suspension travel.

Once you upgrade the springs you have to upgrade the damping. The clickers alone cannot fix the low damping.