General Insuring electric dirt bikes

ReVolter

I tried to get fire, theft, and liability insurance for my Varg, It threw the insurance company into a tail spin when they asked how many cc's the bike was. I said 0, and they told me they can not insure anything less than 150ccs. Well that was just the start. I have been contacting every insurance company I can find in Ontario, Canada, and they are all completely flummoxed by the concept of an electric dirt bike that might need insurance. One company said they could maybe do it for $8,000/year, which seems unreasonable to me.

Has anyone succeeded in getting insurance for your electric dirt bike? I am not racing it and only use it for a bit of fun on the weekends.

Torqu3

I don't know if Geico insures motorcycles in Canada but it was no problem when I street registered my varg last month. I just have the basic level of insurance at the moment but there was no issues covering it fully for theft, liability, and collision if I wanted to. The bare minimum liability coverage for registering ran me 70 bucks a year but full coverage would be about 1400. I Ride 99% off road so I'm not really too worried about it but I can change the coverage level any moment through the Geico app if needed.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
Geico has insured my Alta dirt bikes for 6 years now. The KTM electric Freeride E-XC has been around since 2015. Zero has been around for 15 years. Livewires have been around for a couple of years. It’s not like electric motorcycles or cars are something new. Sounds like they are yanking your chain.

DonCox

Safeco insures my 2006 YZ85 Electric Conversion here in Arizona. It is street legal as an electric conversion. Still a YZ85, but with Alternative Fuel Plate. It is very inexpensive add on to my Arctic Cat UTV insurance policy.

Caryder

Check into your home owners insurance. If it’s not registered and for recreational use only, your home insurance should cover loss for theft/fire for “toys”. If you’re registering it for street use, and insured for liability, comp, collision, then that would be a standard motorcycle policy. Just tell them the displacement is similar to a 450 for liability, but make sure it’s considered “electric”.

Top Bottom