How do you use your Alta?

Butch

Poseur
Typical: unplug, lube chain, load, drive a half hour to Metcalf (or an hour to Hollister), ride for 40 miles, three hours of single or near singletrack, load, drive home, unload, plug in, open beer...
repeat.

Occasionally I wash it. Once properly, actually, when it went in for one year service/ warranty inspection.

roma258

I ride to trailhead. I’m in NY just out of the city. Trails everywhere that I can’t access with my 2t. Alta gets me on the bike almost every morning before work if even for 1.5-2 hrs ... that makes the experiment worth it for me.

Where I ride Think tight rocky rocky ST with plenty of climbs. I’m 2 miles to the trail head. Get 35 miles in. With transfers etc I’d say total of 6 miles pavement. I ride map 2. By the time I’m home I have ~ 1/3 left. I’m not wot but I hit them at a race pace.

Below is a pic at one of the openings
Ha, where is this magical place?

John Lindemann

I just got my 2018 EX. I intend to remove the lights and use it in the woods and hills of Kentucky (Saddleback East). I agree that off-road is the best use for these bikes. They have clearly been designed for serious off-road and have as much range as I have at 60 years young🌞
I will post to this thread when I have gotten some seat time with the bike.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
For 30 years I have sought a real on/off road bike thats capable of MX, singletrack, and street riding. The EXR isn’t it out of the box, but with a few mods, its as close as Ive ever had.
This is definitely a no $h!t statement. Suspension work is all that is needed. One could go on with tire preference and gearing selections, stuff like that, but dialing the suspension for the rider is what makes the EXR such a well rounded tool in the woods.

Rix

Typical: unplug, lube chain, load, drive a half hour to Metcalf (or an hour to Hollister), ride for 40 miles, three hours of single or near singletrack, load, drive home, unload, plug in, open beer...
repeat.

Occasionally I wash it. Once properly, actually, when it went in for one year service/ warranty inspection.
Is it me, or does the beer taste better after a nice ride on the Alta? I swear it does.

Rix

Totally agree! Last time I tried trail riding was in ~2001, and I didn't like it very much. I was attacking the trails, and the trees were fighting back. I went out with a bunch of guys ~3 years ago, and it was okay. But I never thought about riding alone. Let me tell you, riding an Alta, especially alone, is something else. It was like a zen meditation or something. Totally relaxing and nothing but pure enjoyment. I felt like a kid again, like someone who went out to ride his first own little moped for the first time.

I will be doing many more trail rides in Arizona this winter. There I just get out of the garage and go up into the mountains and ride power line roads. I should try doing it early morning, before work, as often as I can. It should be a great way to start a day.
99% of the time I ride alone. And yah, its meditation in motion.

Rix

ST=singletrack
I'm not certain, but I think single track was a term adapted from mountain bike terminology. In the 70s and 80s, if what we were riding was ST, we just called it a trail, if it had more than one lane, it was a dirt road, ridge road, or fire road. Times have changed.