Harbor Freight 240V Generator

rtf

Thank you gentlemen,

I’m still in the beginning stages of thinking everything through. My concern with the MXR is portable charging. Looking at generators, nothing that is 240v capable is very portable and would almost need to use a smaller 120v generator inverter at times for traveling. I currently have a 500excf that I have a hitch hauler for that I put on our SUV when we travel. My wife would be less than thrilled with a 100lb+ generator coming with us.

Fog 25

Cool! What is its dB rating?

Please post a review in a new thread once you receive and test it.
They claim the dB is 70 and it weights 130 pounds with full tank of gas.
Use it all three times I road and once with Fod. I just pull it to the back of the van with the exhaust pointing out (that way I don’t have to pick it up) and let run. Sound was not to bad you can still talk 10 ft way. We plug in Fod bike each time he came in and he never have to wait to go back out to ride.

rtf

"Apart from the chargers, the SM & MXR are completely different. What type of riding are you planning to do?"

I copied this from the other thread to keep things together. I'm planning to use the Alta as a play bike of sorts. But mostly would be set up for single track very close to home, so I'm not concerned at all with range. I doubt I'll do much motorcross but won't rule it out. I have a 500 exc right now, so enduro is more what I'm into.

snydes

Staff member
It sounds like the EX might be a good fit? I was told the EX and SM have a full 2 year warranty, so you would get an extra year over the MX and MXR. Also, you may or may not be able to get a tax credit on either of those, so that might also be something to explore. Or you can go the cheapest route and buy @Philip ’s barely used 2017 MX....:D

Oh the choices!

Oded

It sounds like the EX might be a good fit? I was told the EX and SM have a full 2 year warranty, so you would get an extra year over the MX and MXR. Also, you may or may not be able to get a tax credit on either of those, so that might also be something to explore. Or you can go the cheapest route and buy @Philip ’s barely used 2017 MX....:D

Oh the choices!

Copy paste to that. Agree with everything Steve suggested.

Fog 25

@ TCMB371
@Fog 25 How well does this generator charge the Alta, in terms of battery % vs time? Roughly 1/3 battery in 45 minutes would you say?
Yes my 240 predator generator charges faster than Fod charger using 208 V at our local track. I am trying out a misting fan (see other post) to see if the bike charges faster with a cooler battery.
From 1/3 battery down it’s usually fully charged within 50 minutes. I believe charge time is longer if Battery and temperature are hot.

snydes

Staff member
@ TCMB371

Yes my 240 predator generator charges faster than Fod charger using 208 V at our local track. I am trying out a misting fan (see other post) to see if the bike charges faster with a cooler battery.
From 1/3 battery down it’s usually fully charged within 50 minutes. I believe charge time is longer if Battery and temperature are hot.

Ill be very interested to hear if the charge times are noticeably affected by using that cooling fan. Do keep us posted!

Top Bottom