Gear noise while rolling.

Sjtabler

Hey just purchased 2019 mxr. Was just curious while rolling it around the gears are kind of nosiey. It only had 31 miles.

Sjtabler

Ok awesome have nothing to compare it to lol. I had some noise while accelerating and slowing down I guess that’s normal as well . Hard to get use to it.

datadog

Noise from the motor and gearbox when rolling is quite normal. FYI, our recommendation is to change the gearbox oil at 10 hours (any particles from the build will be flushed), then every 100 hours or once a year. Use an 80w-90 gear oil, what you would normally use in a ICE bike gearbox. Any 80w-90 or 80w-85 lubricant will be fine. It's basically a splash lubricant for the gear reduction.

Rocketz152

Personally I run Mobil 1 75-90 full synthetic and I've been changing the oil every 20 hours give or take...but I'm a heavier rider that competitively rides/races on a track 99% of the time...sure it's Overkill but at 2.7 ounces an oil change a quart of oil goes a long way...

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Personally I run Mobil 1 75-90 full synthetic and I've been changing the oil every 20 hours give or take...but I'm a heavier rider that competitively rides/races on a track 99% of the time...sure it's Overkill but at 2.7 ounces an oil change a quart of oil goes a long way...
When you change your gear oil, how does it look?

wwmotors

Update about gear noise: I have now 85 hours Motocross on my MXR. The gear noise was normal like You described here above in that thread. But now it got way more noise from the right side, when easing off the throttle. I opened the gearbox. The gears look good, no wear, but it seems, that the upper bearing of the electric motor has a few tenth of a mm play. Someone similar experience? Must i change the motorbearing? Did anyone change that bearing already?
Thanks for Your help

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
To my knowledge no one has replaced that bearing. If the bearing was failing you would certainly have metal on the magnet. But this weekend I plan on opening my gear box to take a look around and I'll let you know if the pinion has any run out.

Rashid510

Forum's Sponsor
As @datadog mentioned in the intervals, there should be no severe need in oil changes or usage of any fancy oils (I believe we used Lucas Oil). Same with bearings. Also if your hearing "weird" noises that is also due to the fact you dont have a gas motor masking the noises of the gears and chain.
The "cogging" is related to the motor.