First Ride Range Experiment

SuburbanDad

Gents, I hope all of you are well. I recently picked up a '17 redshift and modded it for woods riding here in the Mtns of North Carolina. ...

I have run my 2017 mx dead flat a couple times. Like won't move at all. There is definitely a lot or range left in the tank once the battery meter is empty, I presume it is built in buffer for battery state. I hated to run my bike dead flat but it was an interesting experiment to find the limits. Thankfully I had a buddy on a 2 stroke with a tow strap. Regen while towing makes for a low effort way to keep the slack out of the line ;)

Since you are in the mountains, here is a great ride tactic: plan your ride from the bottom to the top, with an easy consistent descent for regen purposes. This weekend I rode up single track using about 3/4 pack and then down a super consistent grade fire road. I ended up getting nearly 15% of the energy consumed on the single track back into the pack on the way down and was able to ride a fair bit longer. In the future am definitely going to be seeking out routes that allow easy regen. It makes for a nice ride extender.