First Ride Range Experiment

Kirk

Gents, I hope all of you are well. I recently picked up a '17 redshift and modded it for woods riding here in the Mtns of North Carolina. For my first legit day on the bike I chose a loop I'm familiar with at one our local ORV parks. The ride was a mix of 1/4 fast double track and the rest, moderate to low speed techy singletrack with alot of big ups and downs. The bike was an absolute blast to ride.....grinning ear to ear to the whole time. Not too bad of a learning curve considering my everyday bike is a Beta 300rr with rekluse and LHRB. An hour of learning how to modulate the throttle and I was cleaning some of the harder wet rocky climbs that I'm 50/50 on cleaning with the Beta. I spent most of the day in mode 1 and a little in mode 2 on the faster sections. I made it back to the truck with less than 1/8th battery left. 22mi total. 2:45 moving time with 3:30 overall time out on the loop. Very impressive! I'd say my only gripe is the bike's weight when trying to pick it up and move it around after botching a hard climb. Its such an awesome product.....I hope to God someone picks up the brand and does something with it......and that our chassis's will be upgrade-able going forward. Cheers. Kirk

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Your range per charge sounds about average compared to what many of us are experiencing. Sounds like you have a really fun place to ride over there, be sure to post up some pictures for us to enjoy.

Rix

Self proclaimed macho man extraordinaire
Gents, I hope all of you are well. I recently picked up a '17 redshift and modded it for woods riding here in the Mtns of North Carolina. For my first legit day on the bike I chose a loop I'm familiar with at one our local ORV parks. The ride was a mix of 1/4 fast double track and the rest, moderate to low speed techy singletrack with alot of big ups and downs. The bike was an absolute blast to ride.....grinning ear to ear to the whole time. Not too bad of a learning curve considering my everyday bike is a Beta 300rr with rekluse and LHRB. An hour of learning how to modulate the throttle and I was cleaning some of the harder wet rocky climbs that I'm 50/50 on cleaning with the Beta. I spent most of the day in mode 1 and a little in mode 2 on the faster sections. I made it back to the truck with less than 1/8th battery left. 22mi total. 2:45 moving time with 3:30 overall time out on the loop. Very impressive! I'd say my only gripe is the bike's weight when trying to pick it up and move it around after botching a hard climb. Its such an awesome product.....I hope to God someone picks up the brand and does something with it......and that our chassis's will be upgrade-able going forward. Cheers. Kirk
Your numbers are pretty close with what I get. I know mixing fast sandwashes with pavement road riding I can go pretty quick in map2 for about 23 miles before my battery meter starts flashing. Slower single track trail riding I am good for 38-40 miles.

Kirk

That's amazing! How in the world? I did notice that I had lost 1/8 battery from full after just a 10 minute casual warm up. Is that normal? I had charged the battery the day before, but the bike sat outside in the cold for several hours before use. Does the cold drain the battery at all? Also, I decided to bail back to the truck once I hit 1/8 battery left. How far do you push yours to empty? Is there an emergency power buffer to get you out of the woods once the display starts flashing? I've heard 5mi range with very little power. Have you changed gearing? Thanks for any info, I want to maximize my range, but obviously dont want to get stranded...

Rix

That's amazing! How in the world? I did notice that I had lost 1/8 battery from full after just a 10 minute casual warm up. Is that normal? I had charged the battery the day before, but the bike sat outside in the cold for several hours before use. Does the cold drain the battery at all? Also, I decided to bail back to the truck once I hit 1/8 battery left. How far do you push yours to empty? Is there an emergency power buffer to get you out of the woods once the display starts flashing? I've heard 5mi range with very little power. Have you changed gearing? Thanks for any info, I want to maximize my range, but obviously dont want to get stranded...
I have never went to "empty". Some of guys on other threads have reported going another 7 miles after the battery indicator showed completely dead. Maybe you got that ability as well.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I have never went to "empty". Some of guys on other threads have reported going another 7 miles after the battery indicator showed completely dead. Maybe you got that ability as well.
I have managed 2 miles after empty, with no noticable loss of power. That was a nerve racking last mile into the barn... Total ride distance that day was about 40 mi.

Rainmaker

It pays to re-learn how to ride an electric versus gas bike. On my EX it seems I’m already getting into the habit of maintaining momentum to conserve energy (even though it is so fun to open that throttle!), closing throttle fully for regen “engine-braking” (charging) on portions of trail that demand a bit of slowing (instead of only brakes), and using the incredible torque to accelerate “moderately” from very slow speeds (still faster than combustion bike) waiting to roll on more power progressively after rolling.

These are slightly different than what I do on gas bikes...

Reactions: Rix

Rix

It pays to re-learn how to ride an electric versus gas bike. On my EX it seems I’m already getting into the habit of maintaining momentum to conserve energy (even though it is so fun to open that throttle!), closing throttle fully for regen “engine-braking” (charging) on portions of trail that demand a bit of slowing (instead of only brakes), and using the incredible torque to accelerate “moderately” from very slow speeds (still faster than combustion bike) waiting to roll on more power progressively after rolling.

These are slightly different than what I do on gas bikes...
Yep, I try to use the throttle cutting/regen as ABS and I am successful for the most part. On gasseers, its gas....brake.....skid/side....gas.....brake.....skid/slide and repeat.

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
Yep, I try to use the throttle cutting/regen as ABS and I am successful for the most part. On gasseers, its gas....brake.....skid/side....gas.....brake.....skid/slide and repeat.
The Regen braking on mine is so effective, I'm not sure I will ever need to use my back brakes for anything besides skid steering.

Reactions: Rix

Rix

The Regen braking on mine is so effective, I'm not sure I will ever need to use my back brakes for anything besides skid steering.
I haven't paid attention as I do 99% of my riding in Map2 on the 2019 EXR, but does the regen braking shunt harder the higher the map mode is?

Redwolf

My dog thinks I'm cool
I haven't paid attention as I do 99% of my riding in Map2 on the 2019 EXR, but does the regen braking shunt harder the higher the map mode is?
I feel no difference in Regen braking in any mode 1-4, to confirm what is said regarding this.

Sometimes I feel suicidal and play in the woods in mode 4....

Oded

I feel no difference in Regen braking in any mode 1-4, to confirm what is said regarding this.

I also don't feel any difference in regen between maps 1-4 on my EX.
I did feel a very pronounced difference on the SM maps. Map 4 there have a very strong regen.

Rix

If you have the latest maps, this is normal. All EX maps (should) have the same regen.
Thats good to know, I don't have to worry about switching from Map 2 to 4 when going down steep terrain to get the advantage of regen.

Oded

When I just got my EX, it had the SM maps (at least, that's what it felt like).
I could go steep descends without touching the brakes on map 4.
After updating the software, the maps became much more similar to one abother.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
total mileage range will affect greatly on single charge dependent on speed & the amount of regen you can create vs braking