First AMA race on the MXR

Mark911

Yep, folks have been "icing down" Alta battery packs between motos since they were released. It's probably not very effective at getting heat out of the core of the pack and all it takes is one sensor showing overtempt to shut things down. It's better than nothing, however. I'd like to see a feature where the pack has cooling tubes (ala Tesla) throughout and between motos you'd pump chilled water through them to cool the cells. Minimum weight hit. The next logical step would be full time water cooling of the pack, obviously not good for weight!

There are 18650 cells that can discharge at the rates required in map 4 and beyond but with higher "C" ratings comes different internal cell construction which lowers the capacity. So it's a trade-off. However, even these cells would suffer the same "cumulative" heat soaking issues if you can't get the heat out of the pack between runs.

snydes

Staff member
Yeah anybody brave enough to test that? My iPhone may be rated the same but it would still freak me out to submurge it completely.

I think it’s only a matter of time until Travis Pastrana and his crew take one and try and ride it through a pond. It’s gonna happen!:lurker: