Fast charger purchase

WoodsWeapon

Looking around the Alta online shop, I dont see the fast charger available for purchase, I think some of you still have them backordered, but is this a dealer only purchase? And just to verify, it does work on my 17 MX right?

snydes

Staff member
I think it’s a dealer only purchase, and the advertised prices are only applicable when purchasing with a new bike (if I’m not mistaken). I believe there are still a bunch of MXR guys waiting for their charger so I don’t think there will be any available to purchase anyway.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think the 3.3kW charger will work with the EX or MX.

Kurlon

The fast charger is limited to the 'R' bikes only unless something new has been announced. The standard charger can be run on 220v to get a quicker charge on non 'R' bikes though. Read Judaslefourbe's post below, I was wrong.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, AFAIK only the R-battery can take 16A at 240V. The A-battery is limited to 12A.

So even if the Rapid charger works with the MX, which it probably does, it will probably be only supplying 12A, in which case there is no benefit to owning it.

Judaslefourbe

Both offboard chargers work on all bikes (base and R models).
The R pack will benefit the most from the faster charger because the cells "run cooler."
The benefit of running the faster charger on a base bike is modest. In my opinion, the best improvement in this case is that the new charger is better looking and IP67 when closed.

As for availability, it is indeed a purchase that needs to go via dealers. We are having a hard time matching the supply to the demand so there is a waiting list.