External Charger Fault???!!!

strider

I've been looking into generators (Honda EU700iS or Yamaha EF6300i) and both of those have floating neutrals. I would think we'd be hearing about this issue with all generators.

Does the Alta charger have its own GFCI? That could be an issue. The 120V cable for my Tesla Roadster had a GFCI built in and it would immediately pop when charged with my Honda EU2000i generator. It was super finicky. Many owners (myself included) removed the GFCI and installed a direct plug.

Fog 25

My harbor freight generator was putting up 17.2 V on the 12 V plug you might want to meter your plugs and see if it’s putting out the right voltage.
I was running mine in the back of the van and it was popping the breaker. I think it was getting hot.

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
Does the Alta charger have its own GFCI? That could be an issue. The 120V cable for my Tesla Roadster had a GFCI built in and it would immediately pop when charged with my Honda EU2000i generator. It was super finicky. Many owners (myself included) removed the GFCI and installed a direct plug.

Yes, there is a GFCI in-line on both the standard charger and the rapid charger.

Tacq180

I have both the standard and rapid charger for my MXR. I have the standard charger mounted in my garage for charging when the bike is home, and use the rapid charger when i go to the track. The standard charger hooked up to 110v in my garage has worked flawlessly. Besides the hiccup i mentioned in the OP, i've only had one other minor hiccup with the rapid charger plugged in to my generator where it just stopped charging. I realized it happened when the generator came out of a loaded state and was freely idling again (you can audibly notice a difference). Otherwise, it has worked fine for me so far.

How many of you are seeing this issue and also using the rapid charger connected to a Harbor Freight Predator 4000/3200 watt generator? Maybe this generator isn't quite up to snuff; whether it be a dirty signal or just inconsistent output.

I bought that generator and have yet to get it to work with the rapid charger on 110 or 220 volts. Still getting the "external charger fault". Very frustrated with this and I can't get any answers. I tried grounding it. Didn't work. I think it may have something to do with the sine wave produced by the generator. Some electronics don't play well with poor sine waves.

Tacq180

Reached out to Alta this monring. Here is their response:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for reaching out. I am sorry about the trouble you are having with your generator, below is everything you need to know to charge:

Our Rapid charger comes with a locking 4-pronged Nema L14-30P plug. This plug plugs into locking 240VAC L14-30R power receptacles. At 240VAC our Rapid charger can charge R-pack Redshift models from 15-90% SOC (State of Charge) in as little as 1hr. 30 minutes or 0-100% SOC 1hr. 45 minutes.

Our Rapid charger can also charge R-pack models at 120VAC using a step-down adapter utilizing a standard U.S. 3-pronged Nema 5-15P Plug. (After purchasing a Rapid charger, you can obtain a step-down adapter by emailing me your request and shipping address.) At 120VAC, our Rapid charger can charge from 15-90% SOC in as little as 2hr. 12 minutes or 0-100% SOC 2hr. 55 minutes.

Charge times will increase if the bikes systems are hot either from riding or ambient temperatures. When the bike is hot, you can cool off the battery and optimize charge times by spraying the battery pack with water before and during charging. However, be sure to keep water out of the bikes charge port and remember to seal the charge port closed when not charging.

Alta Motors has not tested generators, however the specifications our bike and charger require are below:

To charge at 120VAC our systems require a minimum of 1,600 Watts (1.6 kW) be delivered to the bikes charge port at all times during charging. To achieve this amount of power at the bikes charge port (after transmission losses) we encourage the use of an inverter generator which has a steady state power rating no less than 2,000 Watts (2 kW).

To charge at 240VAC our systems require a minimum of 3,300 Watts (3.3 kW) be delivered to the bikes charge port at all times during charging. To achieve this amount of power at the bikes charge port (after transmission losses) we encourage the use of an inverter generator which has a steady state power rating no less than 4,000 Watts (4 kW).

In addition to achieving the necessary power outputs specified above, the generator you use must also be properly grounded to avoid tripping our chargers GFCI.
Please note that a power loss of about 3.5% per 1,000 feet of elevation gain is typical for gasoline, diesel, or propane-fueled generators; natural gas-fueled generators may suffer a power loss of about 5% per 1,000 feet.

Lastly, if possible, always test if a generator will charge your Redshift before purchasing. It is also a good idea to make sure you can return or exchange the generator for another model if you are not able to test a generator before purchasing.

I hope this information helps. For additional insights, please also consider consulting other Redshift owners by visiting the independently run and owner operated, Alta Owners Forum: Alta Owners Forum

Otherwise, please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns, I am happy to help.

Happy Riding and Stay Fast!

-Kevin

Alta_Grey.png?t=1526328177166&width=160&name=Alta_Grey.png

TCMB371

The Silent Assassin
Forum's Sponsor
I don't know man. I'm at the track right now and mine is running flawlessly. Charging my bike right now in between sessions. This may be a dumb question but Have you tried resetting the breakers on yours?
15379131974363916257953996039985.jpg

Speedkills

Mine is super finicky, haven't figured out exactly the pattern yet but I know when it trips the gfci it happens in the first few minutes of charging or not at all. The next day it has either not charged at all, or charged fully but never halfway.

Tacq180

I'll find out today if I can exchange it. I've tried it a dozen times and get the same result. Breakers have not tripped, GFIC has not tripped. I measured 242 volts at the outlet. What seamed to be the perfect little generator is now a headache.

Tacq180

UPDATE - Drained the gas, oil and removed the wheel kit after work today. Returned the generator for an exchange. Pulled it out of the box, put gas & oil in it, fired it up, plugged it in.......and.......Great Success! First Try! Now I am ready for the races this weekend!!

Rainmaker

I have an EX with external standard charger and also had to cycle the GFCI switch on the charger cord a few times until getting the green light and then connected the bike and finally the handle bar switch on to charge.

Top Bottom