EXR Pick-up on 9/22/18 - what to look for?

strider

Hi Everyone,

Thanks in large part to the great group here I have a deposit down on an EXR. This will be my first ever dirt bike. I have a couple decades of roadracing experience but dirt will be all new. My son and I will be signing up for some instruction at a local MX track ASAP.

I'm sure I will have a million newbie questions as I get going but I wanted to ask this one first. My dealer is 2 hours away so I'm hoping to not have to go back there regularly.

What should I look for on pick up day beyond making sure it has the latest firmware? It's coming with the rapid charger and factory LHRB installed.

Oded

Congrat! You will love it. Great bike to start with.

I suggest you connect the charger to the bike and make sure it works properly.
As you wrote, see that the bike is updated.
Alta is providing a small box with some specific tools for the Redshift. Make sure you get it.

strider

Good idea to validate that charging works. The dealership has a 240V L14-30 plug they use (they sent me a picture of it when I asked them what plug came on the rapid charger).

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Get a private riding lesson from a local motocross riding instructor. This will speed up your learning curve and prevent you from developing bad riding habits.

Ronnie Mac should be not far away from you. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Speedkills

BMW Motorcycles of SF told me they would put a 120VAC adapter on my rapid charger, gave me a regular charger for a week until they could sort it out. A week later they told me to come do it myself. Not any trouble to do, but don't count on the dealer doing it, totally depends on the dealer.

strider

Get a private riding lesson from a local motocross riding instructor. This will speed up your learning curve and prevent you from developing bad riding habits.

Ronnie Mac should be not far away from you. :LOL::ROFLMAO:
This is our plan. This place: https://jteamracing.com is our closest track and they offer private lessons.

I'm such a newb I had to go look up Ronnie Mac. Of course that was good for over an hour down the Internet Rabbit Hole....:geek:

strider

your balls
Hey now, let's not get into a road racing vs dirt racing thing. Both are exciting and dangerous. :cool:

I hope to learn a lot from dirt riding and I expect it to improve my asphalt riding. I've done a couple flat-track schools that were part of road racing schools to work on my throttle control so I have actually sat on a (modified) dirt bike before. I also like that there are more opportunities to ride dirt. Finally, I feel that the dirt is the right place for my kids to start riding and they can try out road racing when they're older. So, this way I get to spend more time with them and we can learn together.

strider

Make sure your rapid charger is coming with the 120VAC adapter.

While your at it, have em throw a rim lock on your rear wheel :eek: you're gonna need it!
The dealer won't provide an adapter but using the instructions in the other thread I plan to build one. Didn't look too tough.

As for rim locks, I'm planning to go Tubliss. Since it's an EXR I'm worried about high speed balance with a rim lock (this is the road racer in me coming out - I am fanatical about a well-balanced wheel) and I haven't seen an inner tube since my BMX bike....

Oded

If you are going to use the bike for fast on road rides, I'd wait with the rim lock for the reason you mentioned (wheel balance).

revoltlution

Keep yer cool, don't get hurt, and never give up!
The dealer won't provide an adapter but using the instructions in the other thread I plan to build one. Didn't look too tough.

As for rim locks, I'm planning to go Tubliss. Since it's an EXR I'm worried about high speed balance with a rim lock (this is the road racer in me coming out - I am fanatical about a well-balanced wheel) and I haven't seen an inner tube since my BMX bike....
If you email Alta, they will ship you an adapter... easy enough to build, but Alta sent me one free of charge!
As for the rim lock - I went TuBliss too :)

Fog 25

You will adapt to the EXR quickly coming from road racing back ground. Get the suspension done if you riding in the dirt a lot. Keep the throttle open a little when jumping.
Don’t ride with a sore throat you won’t be able to yell at the riders that you are passing.
Get ready to answer a lot of questions.