Ex/sm led for night road driving

Wnuudiction

Is anyone running the Baja designs kit or other for night driving? I don’t even necessarily care if it’s dot approved, as long as it doesn’t completely blind other motorists. I have a 20 min commute down an curvy unlit rural road that has no reflectors or markers at some points, but the speed of traffic (which is very few) is around 60mph. The incandescent bulb does not cut it by a long shot, and the feed back from the housing and plastic are ridiculous. The blue light from the brights is so bright it blinds you. If anyone is happy with there aftermarket set up please let me know, I got to order something before I wrap the bike around a deer or a hog.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
I’d question if the bike would provide enough power to run the lights:unsure::unsure:

Maybe a coon light:cool:

Slayer

i think the stock light does the job as well as my old xt350 w/either the hi or lo beam, but the backlight from the Alta has me concerned too. Going to try to avoid looking into it :cool: initial thought was a non translucent shroud.

schwankl

I doubt just changing the bulb will get you what you want, but would try that out first.
If there is enough room under the seat could put in a small 300wh battery like:
52v Mighty Mini Cube Samsung Ebike Battery Pack 30q 6ah (3 pounds!)
with a step-down converter:
WaterProof DC 36V/48V to 12V 20A 240W Step Down Power Converter Regulator 645249697002 | eBay
then could run aftermarket 12v systems such as:
Thumper Jockey Enduro 3000 Headlight Kit
or 2x Motorcycle 12V 30W CREE U2 External Spot Head Light Work Lamp LED Fog 714497336176 | eBay

schwankl

did anyone try the H4 version of that Safego 36w headlight? I finally got around to ordering it - will report back in a few days

Wnuudiction

I got the h4 light, installed it. The issue is the light back has a fan and some cooling wings so it doesn’t go back together perfectly. The dust boot doesn’t fit over the light, so I jury rigged a dust boot out of a cut sheet of plastic fashioned into a cup and wrapped in electrical tape. It’s not great, but it will work for now. It rubs on the frame a little but it’s pretty tight to get something that covers the led housing but doesn’t touch allowing the fan space for intake. I’ll drive at night to see how much improvement it makes. It looks brighter during the day.

A63B0FF6-0937-4C2B-A195-E2898F89AB2F.jpeg

22154A36-4BB7-4BF9-A5F1-0C2079CD3DFB.jpeg

0662A1A9-D9AC-4B87-828F-059139D2CE49.jpeg

409F76D5-7A40-403F-93AF-1174B742EF8E.jpeg

9E85F655-5030-40CE-8E53-77CAA53A0213.jpeg

3ABBC209-F74F-4749-9E35-AA7C2B117816.jpeg

OneLapper

"You don't *really* need the water pump...."
Forum's Sponsor
That'll need to be uncovered. The fan will recirculate the hot air unless it has a fresh air supply.

Wnuudiction

It does get very hot with the housing on, so I took it off. I drove to work last night and the light is great. The only downside is it’s open to the elements under the number plate. I’ll probably just run the risk of moisture contamination and take the light off when I run off-road. Well worth it for street driving though.

schwankl

@MotoMinded can you list what needed for your ultimate kit light to integrate with an exr or mxr ?

@Philip its powered from the bike battery @40w w/ 4900 lumens ... will dig into how its connected, looking into their web page, not DOT approved, probably because its sooo much light (low beam is reasonable, but high beam is more than most cars/trucks - watch motomided's vids), but would you rather see the deer/elk/moose/pig waiting to jump out, or briefly piss off another driver like someone with miss aligned headlights, probably ~20% of cars. Each led is adjustable with independent tilt if you want to aim your lights lower.

Top Bottom