Dumbfounded Alta is no more

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I'm new to dirt riding
Just remember to never lean more than the bike! The exception would be if you are catching a slide. Wiggle your rear more, and steer less.

I have a friend who is also a former road racer. We did a 9-day 5,000 mile adventure ride together two years ago. Every time he fell he ended up under his heavy bike, and it was my job to lift the bike to get him out. I think his first instinct is not to stomp the foot but to slide down and stick out the knee, LOL. Doesn't work very well in sand, or when crossing a rocky river.

strider

Just remember to never lean more than the bike! The exception would be if you are catching a slide. Wiggle your rear more, and steer less.

I have a friend who is also a former road racer. We did a 9-day 5,000 mile adventure ride together two years ago. Every time he fell he ended up under his heavy bike, and it was my job to lift the bike to get him out. I think his first instinct is not to stomp the foot but to slide down and stick out the knee, LOL. Doesn't work very well in sand, or when crossing a rocky river.
Ha! Yeah, my coach and my wife both like laughing at me. As soon as I get in over my head I try to get under the bike and stick out my shoulder and knee. That causes the front end to immediately wash out BTW :muutt:

Also, I was terrified of sticking my foot out as I've had a couple knee surgeries already. @Bionicman's avatar gives me the willies w/ his leg so far back. But I bought a set of EVS knee braces and now I don't worry. It's still jarring to catch the bike with my foot but it really works and it's getting easier.

Bionicman

E powertrain proponent
Ha! Yeah, my coach and my wife both like laughing at me. As soon as I get in over my head I try to get under the bike and stick out my shoulder and knee. That causes the front end to immediately wash out BTW :muutt:

Also, I was terrified of sticking my foot out as I've had a couple knee surgeries already. @Bionicman's avatar gives me the willies w/ his leg so far back. But I bought a set of EVS knee braces and now I don't worry. It's still jarring to catch the bike with my foot but it really works and it's getting easier.
If you notice my foot is not touching the ground in that pic. Ala Rossi in corner entry only dirt. In my superhero days....