DIY bike

Bloak

After riding an electric mx bike, not keen on going back to ICE only.

Maybe what we need is a DIY style bike, similar to what Factory Five does with cars.
Provide the minimum necessary and owner uses a donor bike to complete. Minimum? Frame/cradle, motor, controller (with throttle tube assy), battery.
Frame based on a popular bike (i.e. parts readily available). Maybe a couple versions of the frame for a few different manufacture bikes (Honda, Yamaha, KTM, etc) for correct geometry to use their parts (I.e. sub frames, seat, forks, swingarm, plastics, etc)
Provide recommended charger.
The biggest issue is the controller for the mapping algorithms, as this would be the part most people would not be familiar with.
What would it cost? Guessing it would be substantial.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose, if we do not hear any news about Alta any time soon, we should create a section for other bike manufacturers, including a DYI MX Bike sub-forum.

autohog

After riding an electric mx bike, not keen on going back to ICE only.

Maybe what we need is a DIY style bike, similar to what Factory Five does with cars.
Provide the minimum necessary and owner uses a donor bike to complete. Minimum? Frame/cradle, motor, controller (with throttle tube assy), battery.
Frame based on a popular bike (i.e. parts readily available). Maybe a couple versions of the frame for a few different manufacture bikes (Honda, Yamaha, KTM, etc) for correct geometry to use their parts (I.e. sub frames, seat, forks, swingarm, plastics, etc)
Provide recommended charger.
The biggest issue is the controller for the mapping algorithms, as this would be the part most people would not be familiar with.
What would it cost? Guessing it would be substantial.
Great idea, I’ll start looking for a used CR 250 😜