Considering changing to KTM triple clamps.

gprix1

Has anyone changed out to KTM triple clamps?
I would like to easily switch between front wheels on my KTM 300.
Also, the Alta seems to get the front wheel knocked crooked when it's dropped a lot easier than the KTM.
Besides needing to re-lace a KTM hub on the front, is there any downside?
I am wondering if maybe the frame is wider and they spread the tubes out for better clearance. That is my only real concern so far.

snydes

Staff member
Has anyone changed out to KTM triple clamps?
I would like to easily switch between front wheels on my KTM 300.
Also, the Alta seems to get the front wheel knocked crooked when it's dropped a lot easier than the KTM.
Besides needing to re-lace a KTM hub on the front, is there any downside?
I am wondering if maybe the frame is wider and they spread the tubes out for better clearance. That is my only real concern so far.

@Mark911 has KTM clamps on his.

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
The brake rotor is 7mm more to the outside the clear the Supermoto wheels and larger calipers. It was simpler for Alta to keep all the same wheel hubs, wheel axles and triple clamps, I guess.

Luxon MX

There are a lot of design limitations on triple clamps unfortunately, primarily due to the enormous head-tube size. We looked at the options available and decided not to move forward with offering a triple clamp for the Alta. The design is just too limited for us to offer anything worthwhile.

If you do change to KTM clamps, aftermarket or otherwise, they need to be fairly flat across the top of the bottom clamp (most are, our's aren't) and they either need solid bar mounts or x-trig style rubber mounts. Nothing can protrude below the bottom of the top clamp as it will interfere with the head tube. So for example, you can't run stock 2015.5+ KTM SX/SXF triple clamps or Neken air clamps on an Alta. I believe the Xtrig clamps will fit fine, though, and possibly stock KTM clamps with solid bar mounts.

snydes

Staff member
There are a lot of design limitations on triple clamps unfortunately, primarily due to the enormous head-tube size. We looked at the options available and decided not to move forward with offering a triple clamp for the Alta. The design is just too limited for us to offer anything worthwhile.

If you do change to KTM clamps, aftermarket or otherwise, they need to be fairly flat across the top of the bottom clamp (most are, our's aren't) and they either need solid bar mounts or x-trig style rubber mounts. Nothing can protrude below the bottom of the top clamp as it will interfere with the head tube. So for example, you can't run stock 2015.5+ KTM SX/SXF triple clamps or Neken air clamps on an Alta. I believe the Xtrig clamps will fit fine, though, and possibly stock KTM clamps with solid bar mounts.

I apologize as I’m not familiar with your products... are you working on any other Alta products?

Luxon MX

I apologize as I’m not familiar with your products... are you working on any other Alta products?

No need to apologize, we're a fairly new company! We have a linkage knuckle available now for the Alta that increases progression at the end of the stroke just a touch and lowers the ride height 10mm. The curve is nearly identical, so it's a very small change and mostly at the end of the stroke for som additional bottoming resistance. We also have some gearbox and timing covers in progress.

gprix1

Well, I just bought a 2013 KTM 125sx triple clamp off eBay to give this a try. It looks exactly like the triple on my '15 300xc which is the solid bar mount style.
I'm assuming from what you've said that I will lose a bit of lock-to-lock travel and will likely have to adjust the stops. If the steering travel is acceptable I'll then re-lace the front wheel with a KTM hub that i've also ordered for proper disk alignment.

Luxon MX

Well, I just bought a 2013 KTM 125sx triple clamp off eBay to give this a try. It looks exactly like the triple on my '15 300xc which is the solid bar mount style.
I'm assuming from what you've said that I will lose a bit of lock-to-lock travel and will likely have to adjust the stops. If the steering travel is acceptable I'll then re-lace the front wheel with a KTM hub that i've also ordered for proper disk alignment.

I believe that will work, not sure about the brake rotor offset though. I believe the fork lugs are different than the KTM ones regarding the brake position. Have a read through this thread for some more info:

Alta Mods

gprix1

I believe that will work, not sure about the brake rotor offset though. I believe the fork lugs are different than the KTM ones regarding the brake position. Have a read through this thread for some more info:

Alta Mods

I have already confirmed the lugs are the same. I’m actually running the forks from my ‘17 250sx right now on the MXR. So, changing the hub to a KTM hub should be all I’ll need to use the KTM triple clamps.

Speedkills

No need to apologize, we're a fairly new company! We have a linkage knuckle available now for the Alta that increases progression at the end of the stroke just a touch and lowers the ride height 10mm. The curve is nearly identical, so it's a very small change and mostly at the end of the stroke for som additional bottoming resistance. We also have some gearbox and timing covers in progress.

Product idea: 7mm disk spacer :D